Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need help with my OCed i5 2500k

Tags:
  • Intel i5
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
May 24, 2012 6:52:49 PM

good day,

first of all heres my bios:



i dont really know if this fits into this category but here goes:

so i used these guides:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to...

i got to 4.2ghz ran prime95 and got no errors for 4hrs so i guess you could say thats a stable overclock, right?

my temps in idle are 33-35c on core 1 and 40-42c on cores 2-4.

my temps while running prime95 are 45-47c on core 1 and 55-57c on cores 2-4.

those are standard temps right? and this is with my room's a/c turned off.

now heres my problem, how come i can run prime95 for 4hrs straight without any problems while when i try to play diablo 3 my computer suddenly crashes then reboots?

now i dont think diablo 3 can get my pc to 100% usage and make my temps higher than prime95.

additional info:

i tried playing the game in stock config (no overclock) and still my pc crashes then reboots.

my bios and gpu driver are the latest.

i am hoping you guys can help me out. thank you very much. :) 

More about : oced 2500k

a b K Overclocking
May 24, 2012 7:09:10 PM

it simple prime95 is a cpu stress test not a ram or gpu stress test or a power supply stress test.
i would start out by first checking that you have the newest bios. asus i know came out with a bios update for ram and ib chips for most of there mb. for your ram check that it on the mb list of tested ram. i would download cpu-z look under the spd tab and write down the speed sets that it rated for. as your oc you want to try and use the xmp profile for your ram. you may have to man set the timing and voltage. for the gpu run gpu-z or hardware monitor...check the gpu temps and that the mb is reading the card right..(model..bios...mb bus speed...ram size of video card.some time dirty or bent pin or seating issue can cause issues with gpus. you want to run memtest on the ram see if it fine if it passes after you change the cmos if it passes but the system still crashes..try taking out 1/2 ram and see if the error stop or get worse. if they stay the same swap ram sticks. rinse and repeat. the last test is with hardware monitor..watching the gpu temp and the output of your power supply 12v and 5v and 3.3v rails...some cheap brand ps under load wont hold up and will cause a pc to crash. some people even buy or get a volt meter and watch the output as there stressing there pc out to see if they can see it drop. the last part and it hard to see that it doing this is the mb chipset over heating and resetting. some mb do have temp sensor for it some dont.
m
0
l
May 24, 2012 7:14:18 PM

i have the latest bios for my mobo. i have already tried manually setting my ram but it still crashes. im using a corsair hx750 for psu. im gonna tru gpu-z and mem test.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
May 24, 2012 7:14:40 PM

justtineg said:
i tried playing the game in stock config (no overclock) and still my pc crashes then reboots.


Assuming you have your ram's frequency, voltage and timings at what they are rated and the CPU at stock defaults, it sounds like your problem isn't with overclocking.

You'll need to list your full computer specs including PSU and video card and try the system at default clocks with different games. Does it crash in other games? Etc.

Also, to answer your question, an OC can run Prime95 and other tests just fine and then turn out unstable in other tests. Try using a broad array of tests, benchmarks and real games to test stability. Try Intel Burn Test first (it's pretty much the quickest at finding instability) and go from there. But like I said, if your system is crashing at stock settings, it isn't an OC issue.
m
0
l
May 24, 2012 9:14:10 PM

larkspur said:
Assuming you have your ram's frequency, voltage and timings at what they are rated and the CPU at stock defaults, it sounds like your problem isn't with overclocking.

You'll need to list your full computer specs including PSU and video card and try the system at default clocks with different games. Does it crash in other games? Etc.

Also, to answer your question, an OC can run Prime95 and other tests just fine and then turn out unstable in other tests. Try using a broad array of tests, benchmarks and real games to test stability. Try Intel Burn Test first (it's pretty much the quickest at finding instability) and go from there. But like I said, if your system is crashing at stock settings, it isn't an OC issue.


exactly what i was thinking. heres my specs:

Procie: intel core i5 2500k
Mobo: asus p8p67 deluxe
GPU: asus gtx 560ti dc II TOP
Ram: corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600mhz 9-9-9-24
PSU: corsair hx750w
CPU Cooler: corsair h100 w/ push-pull
HDD: 1TB seagate
UPS: APC 1100VA

what i forgot to mention is that the weird part is that when my a/c is turned on my pc doesnt crash and reboot but when my a/c is turned off it does, this is the part that confuses me because if this was a heat issue i wouldnt be having this problem in stock bios settings, right?
m
0
l
May 24, 2012 9:58:08 PM

as was said ...
Check to ensure the correct Ram timings / voltages are set.
Also, run memtest on your memory for at least 8 hours
It sounds like your ram is the problem
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 12:50:16 AM

can you give me a link of memtest. i have downloaded it last night but im not sure if this is the right one. >.<
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 1:40:03 PM

update: i tried memtest for 8hrs had no errors. and plus ive tried other games on stock (no oc) and w/ oc still crashes and reboots.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 110 K Overclocking
May 27, 2012 2:26:17 PM

I think you've eliminated everything but the GPU at this point. Try running Furmark to see what happens. It'll be a huge stress on the GPU, but if that's the problem, it should show up pretty quickly with Furmark.

Sounding more and more like the GPU, either way.
Share
May 27, 2012 2:26:52 PM

thanks. will do. be back after tests.
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 2:33:43 PM

done testing regrettably. i used 1680x1050 resolution as it is my native resolution and as soon as i clicked burn-in test my pc crashed and rebooted.
m
0
l
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 27, 2012 2:38:49 PM

justtineg said:
done testing regrettably. i used 1680x1050 resolution as it is my native resolution and as soon as i clicked burn-in test my pc crashed and rebooted.


That definitely doesn't look good, but try uninstalling the graphics drivers and all Nvidia software, and then reinstalling them. If that doesn't work, I'd say it's definitely a failing GPU (if not completely dead, obviously). Hopefully a fresh driver install will fix it though.
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 2:43:41 PM

ive tried a lower resolution still the same happens. i just reformatted my pc so the drivers of this video card i can say is freshly installed. but would you like me to reinstall them just to try for you?

p.s. im using the latest drivers.
m
0
l
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 27, 2012 2:48:34 PM

justtineg said:
ive tried a lower resolution still the same happens. i just reformatted my pc so the drivers of this video card i can say is freshly installed. but would you like me to reinstall them just to try for you?

p.s. im using the latest drivers.


Yeah, I'd say go ahead and do it, just to be sure that something hasn't gone wrong with the drivers (bad install etc.). It would suck to RMA the card and find out that the drivers were the problem after all.
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 5:44:47 PM

sadly, fresh install didnt do anything for me. thanks though. :( 
m
0
l
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 27, 2012 10:33:55 PM

Oh man, sorry about that :(  , but at least I think we found the problem anyway.
m
0
l
May 28, 2012 10:06:17 AM

update: i tried another gpu on my pc a lowend one nvidia gt9500 and i was able to play d3 with no problems. with this can we finally say that the video card is the culprit here?
m
0
l
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 28, 2012 6:19:08 PM

justtineg said:
update: i tried another gpu on my pc a lowend one nvidia gt9500 and i was able to play d3 with no problems. with this can we finally say that the video card is the culprit here?


Yep, I'd say that pretty much confirms it.
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 6:22:10 AM

Best answer selected by justtineg.
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 6:22:58 AM

okay thanks for everything. gonna get my warranty on the card. thanks again and cheers! :D 
m
0
l
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 6:23:39 AM

No problem! :)  Sorry about the card though. :( 
m
0
l
!