Unable to overclock GTX 680

lomboy13

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I got a new rig from CyberpowerPC and I of course ordered the new GTX 680 Superclocked Edition from EVGA. However, using the EVGA Precision X tool, I can not get any higher than 30 on both of the offsets without the card crashing and going back to stock clocks. Is it possible this card may be defective? Please help!!

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Have you attempted to teak the voltage at all?? Since your running an already overclocked card you may need a slight bump in voltage when attempting to take it past an already factory overclocked speed.

P.S YOU LUCKY BASTARD!! I'M STUCK WITH MY ******* GIGABYTE SOC GTX 570 BECAUSE I CANNOT FIND A DAMN 680 IN STOCK!! REALLY CAN'T COMPLAIN THE 570 STILL MAXES ALL THE EYE CANDY FOR THE MOST PART BUT STILL

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

The GTX 680 has a lot of overclocking headroom; especially above and beyond the already overclocked frequencies. Your card should be able to hit 1.1-1.2 Ghz without too much trouble.

Since you bought a pre-manufactured rig; you may want to verify you have a solid Power-Supply. Sometimes companies will calculate the bare minimum power required and put a cheap OEM Power-Supply in the machine. Which can make overclocking difficult if the voltage isn't consistent nor stable.

You may also want to verify you have the latest Driver installed. The driver may be out of date; something to check.

Then as several others have stated; download the latest overclock utility for your card. Also you may need to slightly adjust your voltages. I'm not entirely sure; but some manufactures don't let your RMA a graphics card because it can't be overclocked. You'd have to use a buyers remorse; unless Cyberpower will provide a new 680.

Hope that helps.

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

You'll want to hold as many variables possible out of your equation. So start by ensuring the maximum for your memory clock, gpu clock, and shader clock. Ensure your Gpu hold a 2:1 Ratio while overclocking. Once you've hit the limit in which they fail; gradually move the voltage up one.

Then push your Gpu / Shader up. If it's successful, push your memory clock. Then repeat until it can't essentially fails.

The odd thing; you shouldn't need to boost your voltage at all to achieve 1.2 Ghz on your 680. You can attempt to try these settings:

Memory Clock: Add 400 Mhz;
Core Clock: Add 125 Mhz;
Core Volts: Add 100 mV;
Power Limit: 159%

I'm going off settings from my friends Asus; if you want to push it past that. I'd suggest modding the pcb board to attain higher voltage to push past 1.3 Ghz. But that is more advanced and if you can't keep the temperature low enough may be extremely dangerous to damage your card.

The settings above should push the card to around 1.253 Ghz; that is a relatively easy clock to obtain with this card. You can obviously start low and work your way up. But keep in mind; you'll still want the latest driver and ensure a nice power-supply.

Hope that helps.

lomboy13

Honorable
May 13, 2012

I tried your clocks. Crashed as soon as a 3d image showed in Skyrim. Ugh this is frustrating.

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Try to essentially boost the Power-Limit leave the Volts alone; then try clock rate. Let me know what happens.