Very concerned about cooling an OC'd IB 3770k

sburck

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
So after reading this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overclocking-core-i7-3770k,3198.html

I realized that my original plan to use a noctua NH-d14 heat sink might not work out so well for oc'ing my 3770k.

To sum it up, the rate at which an IB chip heats up when going from idle to full load is so fast (<1 second) that general air cooled heat sinks can't keep up with the transient thermal response effecting the CPU. The article recommends water cooling. I have heard some not so great things about the corsair H100, and thus I was considering a simple loop. Possible an EK or XSPC kit. Would a single 120mm rad with a strong push-pull config be able to pull all the heat off of the 3770k and allow me to oc to the mid 4ghz range?

My other option is to get a heat sink such as the noctua NH-d14 and just run the fans continuously or have them idle at 50% to keep things going at least somewhat.

What are your thoughts people?

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
The NH-d14 or the corsair H100 will both easily get you to the 4.5-4.6 ghz range and allow for stable temps. Going to an XSPC will not get you much higher than either of the other 2 coolers you listed. Although it would surely give you slightly better temps. IVY is a funny animal because it seems like no matter the cooling (Aside from LN2) the transistors within the CPU heat up like mad. So unless you have something that will literally freeze the damn thing your going to be stuck in the 4.5-4.8 ghz range no matter what method of cooling your using. Water or high end air it doesn't matter because the problem resides within the CPU itself.

In my opinion not enough emphasis is given on good case airflow when using high end air or closed loop systems. This is extremely vital to achieving a good 24/7 OC. My 2 cents is to get the NH-d14 and make sure you have good airflow through the case with proper pressure as well. If going IVY I have seen several reviewers getting the 3770k to 4.3-4.5 w/o ever touching the voltage.

Good luck and have fun with your new IVY:)

sburck

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Did you read the article that I linked to though? They recommend water cooling because fans cannot respond to the quick temp changes they saw with ivy. Thats my main concern. Can I use air cooling with this thing.