Sign in with
Your question

Soft copper tubing for a loop...need ideas? check here

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 76 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 1:38:01 AM

hey there

I know alot of people have been mesmerized by steampunking+watercooling their rigs and the idea to get soft copper tubing instead of soft plastic tubing is a favorite but really stressful adventure.

I ALSO know that some have planned forth a soft copper tubed build project ----> this means you Boiler hehe
so without further delays
http://www.overclock.net/t/1259663/my-800d-money-pit-fi...

and a lil more inspiration drives via a google search
http://vonslatt.com/proj-cc4.shtml

nothing special but a few words of caution
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15585...

* I guess I should up my ante with my builds :/  :??: 
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 1:42:27 AM

Great finds! I'm sure this will find its way into some upcoming builds or projects.
a c 76 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 1:44:48 AM

:)  yeah, i suppose toolmaker could make use of it in his current build :) 

but here's hoping your steampunk idea takes flight...[:lutfij:3]
Related resources
May 25, 2012 1:53:07 AM

Man, that is impressive. But routing all that pipe probably took quite a bit of patience and a steady hand.....Both of which I am sorely lacking.
a c 76 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 1:55:36 AM

I mentioned this to another member, for the looks dept, its worth that extra mile. BTW, copper is malleable but a real PITA to work with. when all is set and done - you'll def need to re-polish the tubes as OP is doing :) 
a b K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 2:13:28 AM

I like the looks of the first one a lot, but what does that do to the turbulent water flow of the system? I would think that it cleans it up quite a bit, but is that a good thing? or does it not mater that much in the first place.
a c 76 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 2:15:32 AM

well modo had a thread asking any member that had knowledge of turbulence to respond to him...and if memory serves me, he also crafted lil barbs from plastic to act as a turbulence generator...
a b K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 2:30:13 AM

if you are going to try using cooper tubing for cooling loops be sure to fill the tubing with sand before you start bending and shaping so it doesn't snap or crumple up. As for welded cooper pipe that too works but chances of leaks increases greatly as there are more joints.
a c 76 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 2:33:10 AM

I know that a pipe bender of varying radi will help with the bending procedure - otherwise you'd need a water to flush the sand from blocks...or maybe do it your way efficiently.
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 2:42:34 AM

Quote:
I like the looks of the first one a lot, but what does that do to the turbulent water flow of the system?

Shouldn't be much different than the laminar flow you already get from normal tubing. You'd want laminar flow through tubing/fittings for higher flow, and turbulent flow through radiators. This is the reason each pass in a rad is multiple channels, turbulent flow is slower, but if you increase the total pass volume by using multiple channels, it's negligible, which is why radiators are low restriction in most instances.
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 6:21:04 AM

Yup, the fluid mechanics thread I posted was actually to try and help Toolmaker, we were pondering the best way to make his manifold up, or if to do it at all :) 
and my little turbulence inducers are in the radbox (Well, hopefully they still are hehe) between the input and first rad, and between the first and second rad, just to swirl it up before it hits the rads
Moto
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 4:47:47 PM

I like some of those builds - a few do need some work, but I feel like I'd find a way around that come time for my build. I've also been debating attempting a passive build using a MountainMods case (with the triple 360 or triple 420 panels); at some point I will probably try to run legitimate numbers to see if it's feasible ;) 

As for turbulent/laminar flow, the real difference between the two is purely the speed of the fluid. You'd have to calculate the Reynolds number (density * velocity * tube ID / viscosity); if Re > 2300, it's turbulent, or otherwise it's laminar. Flow patterns (like Moto's "turbulence inducers") have nothing to do with the flow; it is a result of the speed of the fluid.
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 5:01:44 PM

From a quick calculation:

Density (@ 20C) = 998.2 kg/m^3 (doesn't change much based on temp)
Kinematic Viscosity (@ 20C) = 0.001002 N/s*m^2
Diameter = 1/4" = 0.00635 meters

Velocity is diffcult to calculate, since you need to back-calculate from flow rate, but assuming an MCP 655 or so with 1000 LPM:

1000 LPM = 16.667 Liters per second = 0.016667 m^3/s

Dividing flowrate by tube area gives velocity:

Area = (pi)*(0.00635/2 m)^2 = 3.167*10^-5 m^2
Velocity = (0.016667/3.167*10^-5) = 200.5 m/s (although it seems high, it makes sense, since you're pushing so much water in such a small space)

The Reynolds number in that case is about 1.2 million. I would appreciate a numbers check, since I did this on my iPad and didn't have any paper to do a hand calculation. Either way, this number will be far above the laminar flow regime.
a c 100 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 7:32:29 PM

Yeah I don't think you want any laminar flow here, you'd need such a low pump speed. It makes little difference anyway, and ultimately the turbulent flow helps the heat transfer.

Anyway that copper stuff is awesome. Looks really cool, I especially liked the one where there was bits of neon blue tubing between copper elbows and such, looks bad ass.

Trying to find the image, it might have been on a very old Tom's article, but there was a guy who made this massive copper pipe loop on the wall as a passive radiator. It was probably at least 1 meter high and maybe .25 to .5 meters wide, with about 6 loops. Looked like wall art, very cool stuff. You could do some basic calcs to figure out the heat transfer out of something like that to build one yourself (or any passive radiator).

I think in the future my goal is to build some sort of PC inside a desk with exposed parts, and this copper stuff looks so awesome I might have to figure out a way to doing it too. Though, this won't happen for a long time.
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 8:13:28 PM

That HUSH has been posted a lot (lots of folks have used it as inspiration) and similar to a project I wanted to mess with a long time ago but then realized how expensive all the copper was...so I didn't pursue it. I think a passive, winding set of copper tubing would be a great case exterior, but likely would need supplement of at least one radiator, depending how it was setup. Copper is pricey, so it's not a task for someone looking for a budget DIY project...unless you have a large budget. The look of it is just fantastic, and if you know what you are doing, it could be a fantastic looking project.

I love stuff like this...it's so creative and different that it just sparks all sorts of ideas.
!