Connecting modem to switch to XP pc doesn't work

Collypso

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Hello, I'm having this weird problem with my network configuration. I had my modem going into a wireless router and a network cable going from there to a switch and finally into my computer and the neighboring room's computer. I disconnected the router to move it somewhere else and now it won't work even though the cables and the devices remained the same.

So I gave up on the router and connected my switch to the modem and now my win7 computer can access the internet, but the computer in the other room which has XP can't connect.

I changed routers, I changed cables, I reset computers, routers and modems. Nothing works, it's either my computer has connectivity and the other one doesn't or neither does. I'm driving myself insane staring at blinking lights, is there something wrong with my network?

sturm

Splendid
Where did you move the router to? Another network or just into a different room connected to the original modem?

A switch connected to a modem will only allow ONE ip address as a switch does not provide dhcp services. You will need a router for that or a dhcp server.

When you connect a new router or change ANYTHING connected to the modem you must, in my experience, unplug power to all components, make connections, and then reboot the modem, followed by the router, then the rest of the components.