How does the fan controller work?

someonewhy

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Hey guys i have a question
before i am buying the fan controller i just want to know how does it work?the fan connector goes to the back of the fan controller?that's it?or i have to buy more things?

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
That depends on which fan controller you get. The basic idea is that you connect the fans to it and likely a power cable. Then either a cable connecting to a fan header controls the fans or there is a dial or a slider to control the speed. If you can find one that connects to a 4pin PWM header on the mobo that will allow the mobo to do the controlling it would be the best.
But no, you don't have to buy any other parts. The controller should be packaged with all the components needed to do the job.

No idea if that one's any good, I'm using a Scythe Kaze Master and it's pretty good.

Anyway the way it works is you plug a power cable from the PSU into it, and then there's fan headers on it. The speed adjustment is actually a voltage adjustment, more voltage = faster fan speed. It's pretty handy, I have all my fans running at around 1300-1400 rpm so it's pretty quiet.

dannoddd

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
That looks like a sweet fan controller. I'd buy one if I didn't have an Asus board.
Bitfenix has had great quality so far, I'd be comfortable trying it.

The app is licensed through the Apple App store, which is usually an indicator that, in the least, that part of it will work.

I can't see the details of that controller, but usually, you plug the controller into the power supply. Plug the fans into the controller. Place temperature probes throughout the computer. Then the temperature probe for that channel regulates the voltage going to that channels fan and thus changes the speed of the fan.

TRENDING THREADS