Which chipset should i look for?

kdouglas1987

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Hi there having been told my chipset is holding me back with regards to OC'ing, the motherboard is ECS GeForce6100PM-M2. The bios offers NO ability to adjust any critical speed altering settings. In light of this i am looking for a new motherboard, i would like to spend under £50GBP ideally as i have just bought this one (new) for £45. Obviously i would like my new board to run with my current equipment (for now). This is...

Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (Windsor)
4GB OCZ DDR2 800mhz PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2
500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA

I want to be able to mess with overclocking with my 5200+ but i also plan on purchasing a Phenom X4 some time soon so ideally the new mobo should support this too....Any recommendations?

I would prefer to buy from either ebuyer.co.uk or scan.co.uk if that helps,

Kind regards

Kyle.

For micro atx cases, the 785 chipset is a good choice and comes with onboard video. For full size atx, the 780 or 790 will work with ddr2, but check the specs carefully under "cpu support" before ordering, and download the manual online to check it's bios adjustments for overclocking. Too many lazy people don't check the motherboard "cpu support" section before ordering, and can't understand why their new cpu won't post. Newegg has the manufacturer's links on all of it's motherboards, and is a good source of reviews and specs even if you order elsewhere.