Powersupply and paying bill

turtlespeed

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Hello,

I was wondering:

If I use a 500 watt powersupply and my components in total only use 400 watt.
Will the power supply draw 500 or 400 watt?

Thanks

It will draw whatever is required. You have to have lots of components to draw 400 watts. At idle, your system will draw much less than 400 watts. Higher efficiency power supplies require less energy and therefore cost less to operate. What's more important is to use a power supply that's as efficient as possible for your power requirements.

turtlespeed

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Ok thanks. I asked this because I do not need a extra heater element in my room =)
But if it only draws so much energy as it requires to operate, then it's ok.
:sol:

Just be sure to get a unit that has a high efficiency rating (80+ rated preferably) - The efficiency rating is what determines how close to the actual power need the unit will draw from the outlet so a higher eficiency rated PSU will use less of an abundance of power that winds up being turned into extra heat.

Corsair and Seasonic are excellent choices.

Corsair and Seasonic are two of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty.

turtlespeed

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
But How can I safely measure and calculate my total watt used while playing a game?
(during these moments the VGA card will require more power)

Please tell! :bounce:

It's already been mentioned
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001&cm_re=kill_a_watt-_-82-715-001-_-Product
Highest wattage witnessed, multiplied by the typical efficiency of your power supply will give you a general idea of power use.

My system peaks at around 175w AC while surfing the net, average is around 150.
175 watts AC
x.84 typical efficiency of my psu
147 watt load on the psu

Not 100% accurate , but about as close as you'll get without spending big bucks for testing equipment.