Help! WD Caviar Green good for gaming?

Hello. I'm building a new PC in literally a few days, in excitement for Skyrim. The problem is that Hard Drive prices have like tripled, and I'm in a tricky situation. I'm buying monitor, keyboard, OS etc as well. I want this system to cost less then 1.1 grand, but 1.15 grand is the absolute limit, but its the abolsute limit, so I want to stay in the safe zone.

Anyway, about this situation, I'm stuck between WD Caviar Green and WD Caviar Black. The specs are both the same (Sata 6gb/s, 64mb cache, 7200rpm) but the Caviar Black is £60 more. Apparently the Caviar Black has higher performance, but I don't exactly see how. Here are my specs:

GTX 550 ti
i5 2300
P8z68-V
Corsair Carbide 500r White Edition
Intel Stock Cooler
8GB Corsair Vengeance
Corsair GS600
Viewsonic 1680x1050 120hz (No 3D vision)

Does the Caviar Black actually have better gaming performance/speeds or is it not worth £60?

PS: Does 64mb over 32mb cache make much of a difference in performance?

Thanks for answers.
8 answers Last reply
More about help caviar green good gaming
  1. WD Black is faster.Green doesn't runs at slower speeds(not 7200RPM),so it's overall slower.If you can afford the black,then go for it;otherwise,go with the Green
  2. Maziar said:
    WD Black is faster.Green doesn't runs at slower speeds(not 7200RPM),so it's overall slower.If you can afford the black,then go for it;otherwise,go with the Green

Is the performance gap really big or relatively small?
  3. go with caviar black
  4. WD Green drives do not spin at 7200 RPM. They spin at some speed (not known before buying) between 5400 and 7200 RPM. A green drive is good for storage, but not for a boot drive.

I would suggest buying a smaller non-green drive over a larger green drive. Once prices drop you can add a second HDD for much cheaper if you actually need more space.
  5. nordlead said:
    WD Green drives do not spin at 7200 RPM. They spin at some speed (not known before buying) between 5400 and 7200 RPM. A green drive is good for storage, but not for a boot drive.

I would suggest buying a smaller non-green drive over a larger green drive. Once prices drop you can add a second HDD for much cheaper if you actually need more space.

I found the WD Caviar Black 750gb for £10 less than the Caviar Green 1TB. Should I go for the 750GB Caviar Black?
  6. I'd go for the 750GB Caviar Black over a 1TB Caviar Green.

I forgot to mention, Sata 3 6Gbps doesn't matter (over SATA 2 3Gbps) and 64MB of cache really doesn't give you much over 32MB of cache. If you can find a Sata2, 32MB cache version for cheaper I'd probably go with that.
  7. AlphaStorm said:
    I found the WD Caviar Black 750gb for £10 less than the Caviar Green 1TB. Should I go for the 750GB Caviar Black?

If you're fine with the capacity,then yes go for it
    And again yes,the performance difference is notable
  8. i am using a 640 caviar black with 32 meg and well satisfited been running for three years now
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Caviar Storage