Need help, various problems, can't find cause...

Hello,

About 1 week ago I purchsed components and built my own PC.
It seems to run stable, however there are some problems I can't find the cause of:

1: When playing games, the display driver dll will randomly crash and restart causing a ~3 sec black screen afterwhich I can resume playing.

- I can confirm that this is not due to overheating (60 deg. C @ max load), no artifacts.
- Latest drivers are installed.

2. Memtest86 lists over 1000 errors with my memory, yet my system never fails to boot and with exeption of gaming is stable.

- Both manual and auto settings for voltage and clocks yield the same result.

3. My processor can't decide if it wants to be dual core or quad core. I purchased an AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE, after a recent BIOS update, it is now recognized by Windows & CPU-Z as an AMD Phenom II X4 B50 processor, task manager lists 4 cores.
But after trying to fix the memory problem in BIOS and using Memtest86, it seems to have changed back to X2, and after a reboot it's X4 again.

- Processor setting in BIOS are all set to Auto, except AMD Cool'n'Quit (Disabled).
- When in Windows everything is stable.

SYSTEM SPECS:
cpu : AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE (seen as X4 B50)
gpu : XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770
mem : 2 GB OCZ DDR3 1333 MHz RAM (single module) s/n: OCZ3P13332G
mobo : ASRock M3A790GXH/128M (latest BIOS)
psu : OCZ StealthXtreme 600 W

If anyone wants more specific info, just ask.

I'm stumped, any help will be much appriciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about need help problems find cause
  1. Ok just going to update with some good news (I think).

Decided to focus more on testing the memory, using Windows Memory Diagnostic.

Through proces of elimination I managed to find out that my tRAS value was too high, and that my voltage was too low.
    Setting clocks to auto and voltage to 1,88 V I managed too make 2 passes of 6 tests with 1 non-reoccuring error (earlier tries all yielded about 100+ errors).

Meanwhile my processor is back to X2 (too bad, I guess).

I'll see if this fixes the gaming issue aswel.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems