About 1 week ago I purchsed components and built my own PC.
It seems to run stable, however there are some problems I can't find the cause of:
1: When playing games, the display driver dll will randomly crash and restart causing a ~3 sec black screen afterwhich I can resume playing.
- I can confirm that this is not due to overheating (60 deg. C @ max load), no artifacts.
- Latest drivers are installed.
2. Memtest86 lists over 1000 errors with my memory, yet my system never fails to boot and with exeption of gaming is stable.
- Both manual and auto settings for voltage and clocks yield the same result.
3. My processor can't decide if it wants to be dual core or quad core. I purchased an AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE, after a recent BIOS update, it is now recognized by Windows & CPU-Z as an AMD Phenom II X4 B50 processor, task manager lists 4 cores.
But after trying to fix the memory problem in BIOS and using Memtest86, it seems to have changed back to X2, and after a reboot it's X4 again.
- Processor setting in BIOS are all set to Auto, except AMD Cool'n'Quit (Disabled).
- When in Windows everything is stable.
cpu : AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE (seen as X4 B50)
gpu : XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770
mem : 2 GB OCZ DDR3 1333 MHz RAM (single module) s/n: OCZ3P13332G
mobo : ASRock M3A790GXH/128M (latest BIOS)
psu : OCZ StealthXtreme 600 W
Ok just going to update with some good news (I think).
Decided to focus more on testing the memory, using Windows Memory Diagnostic.
Through proces of elimination I managed to find out that my tRAS value was too high, and that my voltage was too low.
Setting clocks to auto and voltage to 1,88 V I managed too make 2 passes of 6 tests with 1 non-reoccuring error (earlier tries all yielded about 100+ errors).
Meanwhile my processor is back to X2 (too bad, I guess).