Is it normal for

Last response: in CPUs
February 16, 2010 4:10:08 PM

my computer specs:

Processor E6600 intel core 2
Graphic ATI card with 512 MB i think it's 4750 or something
Ram reads 4 GB but only 2.93 is usuable
1 tb harddrive

my computer seems to be lagging like heck barely moves like alt + Tabbing or whatever i do seems to be in a delay or freezes for few seconds WHEN I turn on 2 media players video music videos or movies
using a program that converts like 5 videos into 1 large video
and internet explore youtube seems to lag too

More about : normal

a b à CPUs
February 16, 2010 4:50:49 PM

that can be related to your OS, u mentioned here that u have 4 installed but it shows/detects 2.93 ~ or is it 3GB?

windows7 in 32bit detects a maximum of 3.5GB and in 64bit it detects 4GB. But windows XP 32 bit on the other hand detects a maximum of 3GB.

first run memtest (google the software) on your ram and see if any errors show up. if they do show up, u'll know which module is defective :)  happy testing
February 16, 2010 5:07:34 PM

i got windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and my tech where i got my computered fixed
took off the ati card and used the motherboard monitor port and showed me the system specs and it read 4 GB ram 3.25 is usable
but when he put the graphic card back in and used those port it read 4 GB 2.93 is usable

Lutfij said:
that can be related to your OS, u mentioned here that u have 4 installed but it shows/detects 2.93 ~ or is it 3GB?

windows7 in 32bit detects a maximum of 3.5GB and in 64bit it detects 4GB. But windows XP 32 bit on the other hand detects a maximum of 3GB.

first run memtest (google the software) on your ram and see if any errors show up. if they do show up, u'll know which module is defective :)  happy testing

Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 6:31:47 AM

ok, i think u have an ati grafix card that has hyper memory feature and its leading me to believe its enabled. When u use the onboard grafix a small amount is used by tht onboard GPU in ur case (4-3.25=) .75GB

this should explain itself - http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/ati-hyper-m...

and btw are u sure its a 4750? download GPU-Z and check its series number.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 11:10:07 AM

the internal registers used to address all your hardware is eating up those used for your RAM - 32-bit systems only have a maximum of 4GB worth of registers to address everything, and then usable RAM is what's left over at the end.

Upgrade to a 64-bit OS and you'll get all your RAM available.

As for all your lag, give your system a good defrag, update all your drivers and run some tests and benches (memtest, prime95, etc.)

The E6600 can be a good overclocker too, so it could be worth getting a good cooler and cranking it up a bit.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 11:23:02 AM

yunggeh sed: i got windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 11:30:19 AM

^^ missed that bit - big reason to test your RAM as been suggested then!
a c 172 à CPUs
February 17, 2010 1:01:02 PM

Depending on your CPU chip and case, with a good cooler, you can get the E6600 up to 3.3 - 3.6 GHz.
February 17, 2010 2:25:32 PM

i dont know how to do OC i tried it with the software that i got with the computer when i got it back in 2007
as for correcting this i probably am not gonna do it since i already ordered a new computer i7 920 with good specs
but i guess i was only cuz if this was a case of cpu not being able to handle the daily multi tasks i do like watching 2 full screen videos on dual monitor
plus download and maybe some uploads throw that in with exploring facebook tab and tab for youtube or just like maybe 4 or 5 tab boxes in explorer\

i gave the computer defrags a few times.

and ALSO it seems whenever i open my E Drive which is used as my external harddrive files
on it's intial start up it seems to lag the folder then i can click on whatever files i need to goto. maybe it's the computer??

LePhuronn said:
the internal registers used to address all your hardware is eating up those used for your RAM - 32-bit systems only have a maximum of 4GB worth of registers to address everything, and then usable RAM is what's left over at the end.

Upgrade to a 64-bit OS and you'll get all your RAM available.

As for all your lag, give your system a good defrag, update all your drivers and run some tests and benches (memtest, prime95, etc.)

The E6600 can be a good overclocker too, so it could be worth getting a good cooler and cranking it up a bit.

a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 2:55:41 PM

any news with the rams?
February 17, 2010 3:29:21 PM

didn't get to check it yet.. but i will tonight when i get home
i doubt that it'll be the ram cuz i just replaced the ram few weeks ago cuz of computer kept crashing when doing multi video watching lol

Lutfij said:
any news with the rams?

February 24, 2010 12:12:54 AM

Lutfij said:
any news with the rams?

so far it say no problem detected

NEVERMIND it SAID it has trouble storing Data and i should goto question #2 at online FAQ which says to replace the bad memory cards :( 
February 24, 2010 12:22:50 AM

Lutfij said:

I have windows 7 64 bit and it recognizes my 6 gigs without a problem!
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2010 5:11:00 AM

So do i, i built a rig wid 8Gb of ram...used windows 7 64 bit ultimate the same OS as i have. I was trying to point out that windows has a memory restriction in 32 bit which is a max of 3.5GB for windows 7 32bit
February 24, 2010 5:10:54 PM

but you said in 64 bit windows 7 only detects 4 gb...
February 24, 2010 5:11:38 PM

wich i was pointing out that that was wrong
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2010 5:18:07 PM

i was explainin how in his seat he'd see only 3.5 whwereas he'd see 4GB in 64bit...i din impy on 64bit having detecting a max limit of 4GB in ram...lets gt bak to the OP.
February 24, 2010 5:26:51 PM

it was just confusing the way you worded it thats all im getting at.. Yes in a 32 bit system all you will see is 3 gigs in xp and windows 7 is 3.5... nothing running in 32 bit mode will require more than 3.5 gigs of ram... so there is no need to support it!
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2010 5:34:33 PM

true! but u have ppl who want to see where they spent the money :p 

@ yunggeh - bad memory cards? u have ram stix and graphics cards(with memory) -so which one is it? i read in ur earlier posts, ur having trouble accessing data on ur drives - clear indication of bad sector on the disk

@ darkjuggalo2000 - don u think part of his memory is being shared with his graphics card or a glitch in his mobo?
February 24, 2010 7:14:13 PM

of coarse it is sharing with his graphics card he has a 512 mb card! in a 32 bit operating system 3.5 gigs is alot nothing is going to harness that . however when he asks about why his system is saying only 2.85 gigs are usable when is he checking this? is this during game play ? if not then the graphics card is not using it... he is infact using a 64 bit operating system so 4 gigs is about what is needed.. The windows 7 64bit operating system is a resource hog... i.e. the smart bar, the desktop gadgets, the customization for the desktop, the quick start bar, so i can see his system reserving the 1.15 gigs for its own resources... had he got a 1 gig gpu instead of a 512 then it would probably read 3+ gigs available..
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2010 7:40:48 PM

yep i sed that in the 4th post, thou not as detailed as you :) 
February 24, 2010 8:49:13 PM

Lutfij said:
true! but u have ppl who want to see where they spent the money :p 

@ yunggeh - bad memory cards? u have ram stix and graphics cards(with memory) -so which one is it? i read in ur earlier posts, ur having trouble accessing data on ur drives - clear indication of bad sector on the disk

@ darkjuggalo2000 - don u think part of his memory is being shared with his graphics card or a glitch in his mobo?

it said on my first test drive on memtest it said that my memory card is having trouble storing data and i should check the faq online page to see what to do and it says to replace it

@darkjuggalo2000 i have windows 7 64 bit and the radeon 4550 512 mb is probably eating some memory from the 4 gig ram to knock it down to 2.93 usable when i took off the GPU it was at 4 Gig but only 3.25 usable
February 24, 2010 9:05:35 PM

what resolution is your monitor?
February 24, 2010 10:08:13 PM

i just received my i7 920 computer today and i got the radeon 5770 1 gb graphic card
after installing windows 7 ultimate i tried to set up the dual monitor
and under display it only recongizes 1 monitor while the 2nd monitor does what im doing on the first monitor how can i correct this??
February 24, 2010 10:12:31 PM

you need to instal catalyst controll center and you can adjust what is going on in there... you can choose to extend your monitor or project(what you described) and what side the extend is on!
February 25, 2010 9:36:53 PM

darkjuggalo2000 said:
you need to instal catalyst controll center and you can adjust what is going on in there... you can choose to extend your monitor or project(what you described) and what side the extend is on!

haha thanks.. i figured i give that a shot and after downloading it worked :) 
but there's one issue i can't seem to resolve now
1) when i try to go on a website to download videos there's normally like 10 pictures in row but the bottom left corner of internet it says
"4 items remaining or 16 items remaing) Downloading picture http://

then it dont finish just stays there or goes down to saying 1 items remaining and nothing else happens

normally after those pictures there are comments then below are other links for next link of video download page to click on
i can't get down that far just stays stuck on 1) downloadable file names 2) pictures (which are probably alot like 10 pictures) 3) comments 4) next link to go on
i stay stuck on one or 2 pictures on part 2)

and second problem i have is u know the cool trick of highlighting windows media and you see mini box of the video ur watching.. i dont see it all it shows is next back play pause

same goes for explorer just shows you title box not the whole preview

i tried properties and it has aeropeek desktop i can't click or unclick it's just faded color unaccessable
February 25, 2010 9:52:24 PM

hmm sounds funny... what version of catalyst did you download? did you download the right one for your card? is java & flash up to date? and last but not least get rid of internet explorer! I personally use google chrome. now that i think of it i had a friend that had a problem like yours and they downloaded google chrome and it fixed the problem in internet explorer to! (not sure how that worked but whatever) and i am not sure why aeropeek is not working.. try inserting the windows 7 disk and repairing windows.
February 25, 2010 9:54:28 PM

oh also do you have the latest direct x support installed? should be direct x 10 for you...
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2010 10:03:44 PM

Make sure you don't scrap your old system. Replace the ram and resell it. :) 
February 25, 2010 11:44:58 PM

darkjuggalo2000 said:
oh also do you have the latest direct x support installed? should be direct x 10 for you...

where do i go to install direct x 10??
and yes i downloaded from ati driver under radeon 5700 series drivers
chrome hmm maybe i'll try that
if not imma reinstall windows 7 again and start over

@Raidur yeah i took the ram to comp store they said it's good which i think they dont wanna replace it so i put it back in and i think i might've installed it incorrectly and one of the mem card is fried haha oops
so it's down to 2 GB which windows recongizes heh.. but i sold it to a friend for 200 bucks
February 25, 2010 11:55:43 PM

hmm didnt the card come with a disk? i would start by installing everything on that disk... as for the direct x go to start type "run" in the search. open run, then type in "dxdiag" in the run box, click ok. when that pops up check the version of direct x it should say direct x 11 for your 5770 not dx10 sorry... if it says anything less than 11, you need to get the update from microsoft.com
February 26, 2010 1:43:30 AM

darkjuggalo2000 said:
hmm didnt the card come with a disk? i would start by installing everything on that disk... as for the direct x go to start type "run" in the search. open run, then type in "dxdiag" in the run box, click ok. when that pops up check the version of direct x it should say direct x 11 for your 5770 not dx10 sorry... if it says anything less than 11, you need to get the update from microsoft.com

yeah it says i have direct x 11 but still don't explain why i can't get a full page on my internet explorer for this one p2p site

if you give me ur email i'll giveyou picture description of what is going on

im thinkin of reinstalling windows again

i kinda made a mistake and installed windows 7 32 bit and then had to reinstall the 64 bit over it
February 26, 2010 1:52:20 AM

yea reinstalling or repairing is what i recomend.. then install catalyst from the disc you recieved with the graphics card
February 26, 2010 2:02:20 AM

darkjuggalo2000 said:
yea reinstalling or repairing is what i recomend.. then install catalyst from the disc you recieved with the graphics card

ughh.. i had spent soo much time installing codec codes for my gom player
cuz these videso i have are skm,k3g,mov files :/  not to mention i hate having to reinstall all these programs too :/ 

but if it's gonna help me improve my computer then why not :) 

also on my system properties it says my windows experiance index over all rating is 5.9

Processor subscore 7.4

Memory (ram) 7.4

Graphics 6.0

Gaming Graphics 6.0

Primary Hard Disk 5.9

what the heck?? and i have a i7 :heink: 
February 26, 2010 2:02:42 AM

brb gonna go watch my hottie girl Kim Yuna aka (queen YUNA)
February 26, 2010 2:39:03 AM

wow thats not right for the graphics and gaming graphics i have a 5770 and i get 7.4 for both..... and the primary hard disk score you got is normal.
February 26, 2010 2:51:45 AM

yeah well i guess i'll try to retest it again after i reinstall windows tomorrow

after i download yuna kim's ice skating performace tomorrow :) 
damn she broke record for getting 150 points haha damn i envy that coach.. im sure he getting some.. just that we dont know or no scandals yet lol

question tho.. don't win 7 support drivers like sound cards and etc?? unlike win xp where you gotta install the drivers urself??

and last when i do reinstall should i repartition or partition a new sector??
a c 133 à CPUs
February 26, 2010 3:56:33 AM

Ok for a fresh install partition 60 to 100 gigs for OS the rest to storage, your drivers some will be installed most wont you will still have to install the motherboards chipset, your video card, and your sound.

Now your memory problem did you try resetting your bios maybe something got mixed up also check in your bios and see if you have north bridge config in there if you do open that menu and look for memory remap which should be enabled and also look for memory hole which should be disabled.
February 27, 2010 3:14:18 AM

darkjuggalo2000 said:
wow thats not right for the graphics and gaming graphics i have a 5770 and i get 7.4 for both..... and the primary hard disk score you got is normal.

hey~ i just did the fresh installation win 7 again deleted the old file first of coarse installed the cd drives for my mother board and everything.. this i7 seems still iffy when i install a game + download a counter strike file from steam.com and watching chris rock on win media + internet explore it seems to lag everything seems like it pauses for a bit

plus i still have my issues with the website where it says 7 items remaining downloading from http://www.doba
man this is annoying me immensly do you think is hould get this checked out at a computer repair fauclity??
a c 133 à CPUs
February 27, 2010 3:37:44 AM

u installed catlyst drivers?
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2010 7:53:03 PM

If it pauses while you are trying to do a ton of stuff while installing a game then it is likely your hard drive is the problem (not saying there is anything wrong with it, just that it might have been the component choking your system).

i7 is a beast of a CPU and it is very rare to get a bad one. A dual core can handle what you were doing.

See how it acts while you're not running the hard drive at full blast. :) 
February 28, 2010 6:01:54 AM

Raidur said:
If it pauses while you are trying to do a ton of stuff while installing a game then it is likely your hard drive is the problem (not saying there is anything wrong with it, just that it might have been the component choking your system).

i7 is a beast of a CPU and it is very rare to get a bad one. A dual core can handle what you were doing.

See how it acts while you're not running the hard drive at full blast. :) 

umm.. also i noticed when i leave my computer on idle like i went to take a nap because i was exhausted from shoveling the snow from the snow storm we had here i think i came back like 30 minutes to hour later and the entire computer was lagging and non responsive even task bar and also noticed my dvdrw rom was blinking lights *had broodwar cd inside* but not running which also reminds me that last night i left the computer running idle all night and this morning before i left for work i tried to turn off the computer wouldn't respond kept being non responsive and so i had to force feed the power off button

i left it at this local computer shop but i don't trust them hehe yet i left them to check my computer hope they dont do weird things to it (inside i know i should take it to a staples or best buy for repair check up) since i am alittle hesitant to trust the one i been taking my old computer too but that's entirely different matter i guess
February 28, 2010 6:06:45 AM

also.. since my i7 is at the shop to be checked out for any issues such as drivers or what have you... im on my old computer which i took to them like 5 times within 1 month

they ripped me off saying my hd drive was bad and my graphic card was defective the fan not spinning cause my sympton was my comp was crashing while running two video players and leaving it all night i see computer was rebooted and when i paid for it and got it returned i still had issues so 2nd time i took it to them they said my ram was bad and replacing that seemed to do the trick

3rd time computer was very slow wasn't as fast as i took it to them the first 2 times and issue was bios or something

4th time i brought additional 2 gb ram to knock it up to 4 gb which memtest said i had bad memory card trouble storing data and they said they will test the ram before replacing it and said there the ram was good *i donno mem test said bad they said good* maybe they didn't want to waste money by replacing the ram since they ripped me off the hard drive and graphic card
February 28, 2010 1:40:23 PM

hmm.. that is why i build my own i dont trust anybody else just me
February 28, 2010 5:11:34 PM

darkjuggalo2000 said:
hmm.. that is why i build my own i dont trust anybody else just me

you have a POINT :) 
but i probably wouldn't know how to install a cpu into a motherboard.. like the other day after i brought back the ram from the comp store after they checked it out
i couldn't or didn't know which way is the right way to put in the ram into the slot and turned out that one of the 2 gb ram got burned from overheat
so now my old comp is down to 2 gb

but i think i know how to install cd rom hard drive and graphic card into the clips to the motherboard tho.. just that installing the cpu would probably rough for me
and finding the right motherboard for the correct computer case
February 28, 2010 5:33:26 PM

yunggeh said:
you have a POINT :) 
but i probably wouldn't know how to install a cpu into a motherboard.. like the other day after i brought back the ram from the comp store after they checked it out
i couldn't or didn't know which way is the right way to put in the ram into the slot and turned out that one of the 2 gb ram got burned from overheat
so now my old comp is down to 2 gb

but i think i know how to install cd rom hard drive and graphic card into the clips to the motherboard tho.. just that installing the cpu would probably rough for me
and finding the right motherboard for the correct computer case

Its actually not too bad. All you have to do (for case and mobo) is make sure they have the same size spec- either ITX, MicorATX, ATX, or extended ATX.
March 1, 2010 7:58:58 PM

most motherboards are micro atx or atx board nowadays so a mid atx tower would have plenty of room for both styles and would support both board types.. also installing a cpu is easy just line up the pins and gently place it in the board.. Most stock heat sinks have thermal paste on them already so you shouldnt have to worry about that but make sure the heat sink is flush with the cpu and both sides are clamped in.. or all the pins are secure whichever style you have... The ram only goes in one way.. there is a short end and a long end so as long as you have the right ram for the board you shouldnt have a problem with that. Most everything is looking and lining it up the more you do it the better you will get at it. And eventually you will look back and say wow that was so easy i cant believe i used to pay an arm and a leg for someone else to do that!
March 2, 2010 4:45:39 PM

anyone knows what happens if i installed a bootleg windows 7 ultimate 64 bit andthe activation key is wrong?? and time is expired??
i have that problem i woke up said my windows key is incorrect and i must activate it by today
was wondering what would happen
a c 133 à CPUs
March 2, 2010 4:56:33 PM

The reason why your bootleg windows isnt working anymore is because of a new update microsoft just did the only way to fix it is to reinstall windows and disable the update labeled KB971033 its a new anti piracy checker they have but if you simply disable that update and hide it all other updates will work fine.
March 2, 2010 7:20:11 PM

yea i cant condone that.. I would recomend buying win 7 legit. You can disable that but windows 7 has a self built in repair (i originaly tried that to and eventually bought legit) you can buy oem for 100 dollars
!