Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Overclocking my HP Pavilion a6303w

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
May 25, 2012 4:06:42 PM

Hello :) 

I have a Hp Pavilion a6303w OM computer. I'm trying to overclock the CPU a bit for gaming. Currently I cannot afford to build my own gaming computer so I'm trying to tweek what I have.

I have tried going into the BIOS to OC, but the setting are "greyed" out or "locked" as some would say. I'm currently using Clockgen to try and OC the CPU. I have looked through all the PLL's and the only one that matched which was the 7th choice down (ICS 951412). The only thing different was my clock did not have anything under PCIE or PCI number wise. The ICS however did have numbers listed. I tried this PLL by raisingn the numbers slightly, but nothing seemed to change on my clocks. Which I'm assuming means it's not the correct PLL.

Does anyone have advice on how to OC this computer's CPU? If you need more information to help me I will gladly post what I can. Again I'm almost 100% that I cannot OC from the bios. I have 6gb of ram on windows 7 64bit and a radeon HD 6750 card.. the only thing my computer really is lacking is the CPU which is a Dual core.. which only runs at 2.4GHz .. I find that pretty weak!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you!! :love: 

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 25, 2012 6:06:32 PM

Sorry to tell you there is no way in hell you're going to be able to OC that cpu in the motherboard it's in now. Not through Bios or Windows. You cannot do it through the locked out bios and no OC software available through windows will be compatible with an OEM motherboard.

I would not recommend you try to OC your CPU with the stock cpu fan that came with your computer anyways. That's a sure fire way to fry your computer in a hurry. And I can almost guarantee you will cause damage doing that even if you did find some magical way of overclocking that cpu with your current setup.

I would say your only option would be to replace your motherboard AND your stock cpu cooler to something like a $30 hyper 212+ or something along those lines. But if your going to do that I would recommend spending $50 on a new CPU. Because I'm not sure what type of CPU you have in your current setup but from the sound of it your probably a few generations behind. Buying a cheap $50 dual core black edition AMD Phenom or something similiar would give you a boost in performance at stock values and make it much much easier for you to overclock using something like the CPU multiplier instead of the FSB. Changing the multiplier is much more "noob" friendly as it allows you to change CPU speed while leaving all other values unchanged.

Here's my advice. Your not going to get anywhere w/o spending a few bucks. BY few bucks I mean new motherboard, processor, cpu fan, and RAM. You WILL NOT be able to OC that processor. Even if you changed the motherboard and cpu cooler only. That OEM processor wouldn't OC for ***. You'd be lucky to get 200 mhz out of it and even then it doesn't have an unlocked multiplier so you would have to screw with the FSB making matters worse. Because I would take it you have no experience overclocking??

Just by cheap. A $50 motherboard, $50-$80 processor, $30 heatsink, $30 RAM, and VIOLA! There really is no other option aside from that my friend I'm sorry:( 
Share
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 6:14:33 PM

You can't overclock regardless, the bios is locked to prevent any users from causing damage to their system and complaining to HP.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 25, 2012 10:24:15 PM

bigj1985 said:
Sorry to tell you there is no way in hell you're going to be able to OC that cpu in the motherboard it's in now. Not through Bios or Windows. You cannot do it through the locked out bios and no OC software available through windows will be compatible with an OEM motherboard.

I would not recommend you try to OC your CPU with the stock cpu fan that came with your computer anyways. That's a sure fire way to fry your computer in a hurry. And I can almost guarantee you will cause damage doing that even if you did find some magical way of overclocking that cpu with your current setup.

I would say your only option would be to replace your motherboard AND your stock cpu cooler to something like a $30 hyper 212+ or something along those lines. But if your going to do that I would recommend spending $50 on a new CPU. Because I'm not sure what type of CPU you have in your current setup but from the sound of it your probably a few generations behind. Buying a cheap $50 dual core black edition AMD Phenom or something similiar would give you a boost in performance at stock values and make it much much easier for you to overclock using something like the CPU multiplier instead of the FSB. Changing the multiplier is much more "noob" friendly as it allows you to change CPU speed while leaving all other values unchanged.

Here's my advice. Your not going to get anywhere w/o spending a few bucks. BY few bucks I mean new motherboard, processor, cpu fan, and RAM. You WILL NOT be able to OC that processor. Even if you changed the motherboard and cpu cooler only. That OEM processor wouldn't OC for ***. You'd be lucky to get 200 mhz out of it and even then it doesn't have an unlocked multiplier so you would have to screw with the FSB making matters worse. Because I would take it you have no experience overclocking??

Just by cheap. A $50 motherboard, $50-$80 processor, $30 heatsink, $30 RAM, and VIOLA! There really is no other option aside from that my friend I'm sorry:( 


I just wanted to say thanks for the insight. This reply has really saved me a lot of time from trying to BS around the net finding out how to do something I obviously cannot :p . Next income taxes I am for sure building me a computer. I don't have any experience OCing. To be honest I never knew how awesome it was (and i'm very familiar with computers). It's just one avenue I have never went down. When I do put together my new rig, I will be coming back and learning the ropes though. Thanks again for the advice and knowledge!

:D 
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 10:24:34 PM

Best answer selected by Honoracy.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2012 2:42:17 AM

honoracy said:
I just wanted to say thanks for the insight. This reply has really saved me a lot of time from trying to BS around the net finding out how to do something I obviously cannot :p . Next income taxes I am for sure building me a computer. I don't have any experience OCing. To be honest I never knew how awesome it was (and i'm very familiar with computers). It's just one avenue I have never went down. When I do put together my new rig, I will be coming back and learning the ropes though. Thanks again for the advice and knowledge!

:D 


No problem, glad I could be of service:)  Thanks for the answer as well. This post reminds me of when I tried tirelessly for like a week to try and OC my OEM Gateway 10 years ago Lol
m
0
l
May 26, 2012 4:48:25 AM

bigj1985 said:
No problem, glad I could be of service:)  Thanks for the answer as well. This post reminds me of when I tried tirelessly for like a week to try and OC my OEM Gateway 10 years ago Lol



Lol! Well I'm glad you did go through that struggle so you could end up helping me haha ;) . You're much welcome! Thanks again. Great advice(:
m
0
l
!