Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Strange black screen

Last response: in Systems
December 6, 2009 7:46:29 PM

This is the second day since I built my new system and something strange and annoying happens. For 3 times, I got a black screen (the monitor's indicator light becomes orange which I think means there's no input signal) when I tried to eject my dvd. It doesn't happen consistently, I tried to open and close the dvd many times and I can't repeat the problem. For the 3 times that it does happen, for twice I have to push the reset button to reboot my computer and for once it reboots by itself. I was keeping mornitorring my cpu temperature using Core Temp and it shows my core temperature is between 35~40 C. And I've run Prime for 5~6 hours and it does not have any problem and cpu core temperature rises to about 55 C. Does anyone have a clue what's going on or how to identify the problem? Thank you very much. Below is my system configuration:

AMD phenom ii x3 720p running at stock settings with stock heatsink and fan
Gigabyte 790GPT UD3H motherboard (Bios version F3)
G.skill 4G DDR3 memory latency 8-8-8-24 (The automatic setting by the system is 9-9-9-24 and I changed it to 8-8-8-24 in bios)
motherboard integrated video
Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
Antec EA650 650W PSU
Coolermaster rc-690 case

More about : strange black screen

December 6, 2009 8:41:53 PM

It just happened again and this time the reason is because I gently hit my computer case. I checked all the power connections and they all seem well connected. Also I can reboot my computer after the black screen without doing anything else which suggests it's not caused by loose cable, am I right?
m
l

Best solution

December 7, 2009 1:01:33 PM

I apologize for asking a very simple question, but sometimes the most obvious things are the ones we overlook: you checked your monitor cable and made sure it's screwed in tight, right? The way you describe the problem, it really sounds like a loose connector, and with your system using mobo graphics, that's the only option. Well, short of checking the monitor's power cable...
Related resources
December 7, 2009 3:39:13 PM

Thanks. I'm now 95% sure of the source of the problem. It seems that the pre-installed reset key of my coolermaster RC-690 case has some malfunction. Some vibration to the case would trigger the reset key and thus reboot my system. I disconnect the cable that connects the reset key to the front panel header on the MB and seems the problem is gone.
m
l
December 7, 2009 5:31:54 PM

Glad you figured it out. Bummer with that button, but soft reset and/or 4-second push on the power button should leave you with enough options anyway.
m
l
!