Solved

Strange black screen

This is the second day since I built my new system and something strange and annoying happens. For 3 times, I got a black screen (the monitor's indicator light becomes orange which I think means there's no input signal) when I tried to eject my dvd. It doesn't happen consistently, I tried to open and close the dvd many times and I can't repeat the problem. For the 3 times that it does happen, for twice I have to push the reset button to reboot my computer and for once it reboots by itself. I was keeping mornitorring my cpu temperature using Core Temp and it shows my core temperature is between 35~40 C. And I've run Prime for 5~6 hours and it does not have any problem and cpu core temperature rises to about 55 C. Does anyone have a clue what's going on or how to identify the problem? Thank you very much. Below is my system configuration:

AMD phenom ii x3 720p running at stock settings with stock heatsink and fan
Gigabyte 790GPT UD3H motherboard (Bios version F3)
G.skill 4G DDR3 memory latency 8-8-8-24 (The automatic setting by the system is 9-9-9-24 and I changed it to 8-8-8-24 in bios)
motherboard integrated video
Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
Antec EA650 650W PSU
Coolermaster rc-690 case
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about strange black screen
  1. It just happened again and this time the reason is because I gently hit my computer case. I checked all the power connections and they all seem well connected. Also I can reboot my computer after the black screen without doing anything else which suggests it's not caused by loose cable, am I right?
  2. Best answer
    I apologize for asking a very simple question, but sometimes the most obvious things are the ones we overlook: you checked your monitor cable and made sure it's screwed in tight, right? The way you describe the problem, it really sounds like a loose connector, and with your system using mobo graphics, that's the only option. Well, short of checking the monitor's power cable...
  3. Thanks. I'm now 95% sure of the source of the problem. It seems that the pre-installed reset key of my coolermaster RC-690 case has some malfunction. Some vibration to the case would trigger the reset key and thus reboot my system. I disconnect the cable that connects the reset key to the front panel header on the MB and seems the problem is gone.
  4. Glad you figured it out. Bummer with that button, but soft reset and/or 4-second push on the power button should leave you with enough options anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems