Will all my Components fit into my desired case?

brutalspoon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
They should all fit fine, although why you're using a 1TB drive as a system drive is beyond me - you should seriously consider getting a <500GB single platter Seagate to use as a system drive as well. Something like this - it's only £30 and you'll get much better performance.

I would probably recommend Kingston HyperX RAM instead of those crucial sticks- if you buy 2 2GB sticks separately it actually works out cheaper than buying them as a pair, oddly enough, but it's awesome stuff.

Other than that it looks to be a pretty solid build.

One last tip is to try and buy your components from as few sources as possible - I've learnt that the hard way. How much more expensive is it to get that CPU from ebuyer? You may pay a little more for the actual item, but you have less people to chase up if something goes wrong and it may work out slightly cheaper when you get free postage from ebuyer. Ebuyer and Scan are both good stores, though.

Hope this helps :)

G

Thanks for the quick reply and tips :) i will try find the items on same sites, thanks very much :D

brutalspoon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
You'll probably want to get a different CPU cooler, too. I know the Athlon II X2s have quiet CPU heatsinks but I don't know about the quad cores. I'd recommend the Noctua NH-U12P or the Scythe Zipang 2, although there might be better ones out there. Gimme a sec to do some research and I'll get back to you :p

brutalspoon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I know I'm not supposed to double post but for some reason it won't let me edit my other message :(

After doing some digging around, I came up with these - it all depends on whether noise is an issue for you or not.

If noise is an issue, this will give you decent performance but will still be quiet:

Scythe ZIPANG 2 - £45.50 inc VAT

If you don't care about noise, you'll get much better performance with this but it's likely to make a racket:

CoolerMaster V8 - £48.17 inc VAT

Either way you're putting down some serious cash, but it's worth it for the extra performance (and extra quiet).

The performance of the 500 GB 7200.12 and the 1 TB 7200.12 is virtually identical. When peeps suggest buying a 500GB per platter drive, they typically mean buying say a 1 TB drive w/ two 500 GB platters as opposed to one w/ three 333 GB platters.

=on&prod[2371]=on]http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/compare,1015.html?prod[2369]=on&prod[2371]=on

brutalspoon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

It's true, they are quite close. However, the charts do show that the 500GB drive IS cooler, and IS faster - up to 5MB/s faster in some cases.

Besides, any excuse to have 1.5TB instead of 1TB alone is a good one :p

Well .... some it wins, some it loses....most are so close as not to matter ..... comparing the 2 platter and 1 platter designs, the 2 platter does better in

Windows Movie Maker
adding music to Windows Media Player
PCMark VantageScore
Sound
Gaming (which is prolly most important to peeps here) but not by much