Thoughts on pci slot case coolers under a gpu.

Tionen

Distinguished
May 24, 2012
Hello,
I have an old xps 410 that I'm getting some upgrades for in a little while. With only one pci express slot for a gpu I'm thinking why not put a pci slot exhaust in under the card to take air off the bottom of it. The ones I see on newegg all look like they point the intake down but they're just on a bracket so one should be able to flip it over in the bracket and get it pulling air off the bottom of the gpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007998%20600035582%20600035566&IsNodeId=1&name=PCI%20Slot%20Case%20Cooler

It's a stock 410 from 06ish and there isn't an exhaust really, so I am putting a 90mm for an exhaust on the rear. Are those pci exhausts any good for being right under the gpu/any good at all, or would it be better to just get two 90mm exhaust fans with them being over the gpu?

I would also like some thoughts on fan setups for the system if anyone could share. :)

Solution
Make sure you can flip the fan and mount it on the bracket. The holes may be tapped in molded bosses.

Your idea is good. In principle, any additional air movement especially exhausting hot air will be beneficial.