Sign in with
Your question

Games crashing with new 4870, Catalyst 9.11... Know why?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2009 8:52:45 PM

Hello everyone. I have an issue that has been haunting me ever since the installation of my new XFX 4870. I have been playing Tomb Raider Underworld (got it for $7 on Steam the other day) and Far Cry 2. Both are set to the max along with 4x AA. Both games run very smooth, no problems there, but it seems when a large fancy explosion is about to occur during either game, it crashes and returns to the desktop. My PC does not lock up, the game simply crashes.

It seems to happen every time I play either game, but at completely random intervals. I could play for 2 minutes and it happens or I could play for an hour before it happens.

My graphics card is at factory clock speeds (750/900) and maxes out around 65-70 degrees celcius during max load. My CPU is overclocked to 3.0 from 2.4, runs around 40-50 celcius under full load and I have never had an issue with it. I am running Catalyst 9.11 with CCC installed.

Anyone have a clue what is going on?!?! I can provide more detailed information if needed... just ask.

SPECS:

Windows 7 Professional 64
D975XBX2KR
Xeon X3220 @ 3.0
4GB OCZ Platinum Rev 2 DDR2800
WD Black 640
XFX Radeon 4870 w/ Catalyst 9.11
Muskin 550W PSU

Thanks!
December 8, 2009 9:37:04 AM

Hello :) 
Does it only happen with those 2 games ? also does it give you any errors when it crashes ?
m
l
December 8, 2009 10:37:54 AM

An indication of insufficient power capacity. Try a good brand power supply such as Antec, corsair, enermax.
m
l
Related resources
December 8, 2009 1:08:50 PM

Maziar said:
Hello :) 
Does it only happen with those 2 games ? also does it give you any errors when it crashes ?

Those are the only 2 games I play right now...lol

I will try playing HL2 to see what happens. I played Underworld last night for an hour and it ran fine, but there were no huge explosions on screen. It seems like it has something to do with crazy lighting effects of explosions. Is there a graphic setting I can tone down to see if that works?
m
l
December 8, 2009 1:12:27 PM

leon2006 said:
An indication of insufficient power capacity. Try a good brand power supply such as Antec, corsair, enermax.

Muskin IS a quality company. See http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&... for a review.

The PSU passed 12v SLI ripple test with flying colors and held its own with PSUs from Enermax and Silverstone...

On another note regarding my PSU, the 12v range has been between 11.56 and 11.75, is this OK? Maybe the PSU is failing slowly... It is over 2 years old.
m
l
December 8, 2009 9:31:23 PM

since we both have very similar machine (that xeon is a rebranded q6600, i have mine @ 3.0ghz as well) and OS....

do you have the proper service packs?

i believe that PSU of your is decent to power a 4870 provided that it wasnt damage in the span of 2 years. mushkin makes good RAM, im hoping they're on the + side too on the PSU department. i believe most hi-tier PSU's got 5 years warranty on them (inside the US), a good example is corsair.

but before you send that psu off to the warranty deparment, have your card checked on a different machine (again with a decent psu), it might also be the culprit.

i ran a 4870 1gb on my rig with just a 450w corsair.

m
l
!