Sign in with
Your question

Asus Rampage ii extreme build (first time)

Last response: in Systems
December 6, 2009 9:37:11 PM

hi every1 i need some help please, this my very first build n im stuck now
heres my spec :
Mobo : Asus rampage ii extreme motherboard
CPU : intel 920 core i7 2,66GHZ
Memory : Corsair dominator 3channel 2GBx3 memory card
GPU : (1) BFG (GTX 260 Maxcore 55nm) OC
PSU : Corsair 1000Watt modular PSU
HDD : (1) WD black cav 1TB hdd
optical drive : Pioneer DVD R/W
Case : HAF 932 fulltower case
===========================================================
i have done all the step in (ASUS rampage ii extreme) user book, n i just plug all major part n cable :
- cpu installed
- cpu headsink installed+fan
- soundcard installed
- memory card installed
- gpu installed
- all case fan installed
- front panel n usb from case installed
- hdd installed
- optical drive installed
- PSU installed (24 pin to mobo, 2 pci-E to GTX260 OC GPU, 1 extra cable to power up the hdd n optical drive) im sure all connected as the manual book show me
Next out of the case :
- power plug (Wall >> PSU) plugged
- power plug (Wall >> monitor plugged
both ready to power on
1st try : i plug the DVI-D (male n male) cable its come with my monitor (alienware OPTX 21" monitor) to tge (GPU : DVI-I female VS Monitor : DVI-D female) n power on the cpu n monitor
- 4 fan (case) working
- 1 fan (cpu) working
- asus ROG logo light is on n other Led on motherboard is on (bios led : on) (sata port led : on)
- GPU fan working
PROBLEM IS : the monitor pop up the message say " no signal"
- then i try all the source "HDMI 1 , HDMI 2, DVI-D port from monitor (not working)
- first i thinking theres something wrong with my monitor n try with my old pc it working,
MAYBE i missed some installation step ? anyone please help me with this problem,
December 6, 2009 9:48:28 PM

- PSU installed (24 pin to mobo, 2 pci-E to GTX260 OC GPU, 1 extra cable to power up the hdd n optical drive) im sure all connected as the manual book show me

Did you connect the 4/8 pin cpu power connector?
m
l
December 6, 2009 9:52:51 PM

What are your Q-LED's telling you?

I have a feeling it's the RAM...

If the RAM light comes on (and stays on), it's probably:
  • You didn't put the DIMMs in the correct slots. Read the manual, double check. Also just try using one DIMM.
  • You didn't seat the RAM correctly. The little plastic tabs should "suck-in" on their own if it's seated fully.
  • You got RAM which is not compatible with the motherboard. Check the Qualified Vendor List for RAM modules in your manual. If your RAM is not on that list, then that's probably the issue. Asus mobos can be very picky about the RAM that they like.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    December 6, 2009 10:17:56 PM

geofelt said:

Did you connect the 4/8 pin cpu power connector?

nope, i try plug it in, but the system wouldnt on , should it plugged in or no?
    m
    l
    December 6, 2009 10:22:32 PM

asusjuniorbuilder said:

You need to have the CPU power pin plugged in, or your CPU won't receive any power.
    m
    l
    December 6, 2009 10:23:30 PM

asusjuniorbuilder said:

There is a 8 pin power connector on the motherboard that must be filled. 4 of the pins may be covered with some removeable plastic. Your psu will have an 8 pin cpu power connector that must be plugged in. Just 4 pins will work unless you are overclocking, but using all 8 is preferred.

Also, check that the ram is in the proper set of slots. In my P6T, they must go in the orange slots which is counter intuitive.
    m
    l
    December 6, 2009 10:25:15 PM

nofun said:
    What are your Q-LED's telling you?

I have a feeling it's the RAM...

If the RAM light comes on (and stays on), it's probably:
  • You didn't put the DIMMs in the correct slots. Read the manual, double check. Also just try using one DIMM.
  • You didn't seat the RAM correctly. The little plastic tabs should "suck-in" on their own if it's seated fully.
  • You got RAM which is not compatible with the motherboard. Check the Qualified Vendor List for RAM modules in your manual. If your RAM is not on that list, then that's probably the issue. Asus mobos can be very picky about the RAM that they like.

• uhm....
    *let me see, i have 3 pieces memory ( all plugged in blue slot "ASUS RAMPAGE II MOTHERBOARD) i leave the white slot empty its right? all total 6GB 2GB/piece
    *the memory fitted well in the memory area n the little thing on both side of the card locked
    *uhm... im too stupid didnt noticed this which memory card it fit asus rampage mobo before i buy it, but the mobo case say it support triple channel memory so i think i got right one hm... :/  im really stuck... thx btw for quick answer for u 2 i still trying now
    m
    l
    December 6, 2009 10:28:07 PM

geofelt said:
    There is a 8 pin power connector on the motherboard that must be filled. 4 of the pins may be covered with some removeable plastic. Your psu will have an 8 pin cpu power connector that must be plugged in. Just 4 pins will work unless you are overclocking, but using all 8 is preferred.

Also, check that the ram is in the proper set of slots. In my P6T, they must go in the orange slots which is counter intuitive.

how about 24 pin? (is plugged now on the mobo) if i put both, the system not work....
    still stuck :cry: 
    m
    l
    December 6, 2009 10:50:14 PM

asusjuniorbuilder said:
    how about 24 pin? (is plugged now on the mobo) if i put both, the system not work....
    still stuck :cry: 

The 24 pin power cable must ALSO be plugged in. You need the 8 pin also.

Go to the corsair web site ram configurator.
    fill in your mobo model and you should get a list of compatible corsair ram.
    http://www.corsair.com/configurator/default.aspx
    Your ram should be on the list.

m
    l
    December 6, 2009 11:36:32 PM

ok now both plugged 24 pin and 8 pin plugged but the system wouldnt work now, lol this getting more complicated, sorry guys, im newbie in pc build world
    m
    l
    December 6, 2009 11:46:00 PM

I answered this in your other post....see page 2-38 of your manual. Do as instructed on this page for the connector labeled "A". Take off the black cap covering the 4 pins and plug in the 8 pin EPS connector. Turn off the system, wait 30 seconds and try again.....if that doesn't work see answers in your other post.
    m
    l
    December 7, 2009 12:31:57 AM

oh btw how i do typing? i have usb keyboard (alienware tactX)? display say i have to press f1 key
    m
    l
    December 7, 2009 1:06:13 AM

ok the monitor is up now n everything in the box is running now, n next what should i do? put the OS dvd? or what else?
    because the usb keyboard wont work, n i got no ps2 keyboard :/ 
    almost out from this confusion n another matter haha, sorry , but im really need ur help guys,
    m
    l
    December 7, 2009 3:24:20 AM

ok done thx everyone for helping me today
    now im reply this message using my new pc :)  i see u guys someday
    merry x mas
    m
    l
    December 16, 2009 1:56:29 PM

What did you do to fix it ? I am building a computer very similar computer for christams (VERY SIMILAR) and I just wanna know what actually solved the problem ? And any tips you have for a noob.
    m
    l
    !