Sign in with
Your question

Help. Geforce 9600 GT Win7 = terrible performance.

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Performance
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
December 7, 2009 10:26:24 PM

Hello!!!!!!!!!

My system is as follows,

Windows 7 64bit
Gigabyte M720-US3
Phenom 2 945
2gb corsair XMS2 DDR2 800mhz
Display driver 195.62

I'm getting really bad graphics performance. I lost like 10 FPS on RE5 benchmark versus windows XP 32bit. On Left 4 dead 2 my average FPS is around 35-45, and even lower if I turn shader quality up to maximum (which the game recommends)

On my old system (AMD 3800 X2 Win XP) I never got any slow down on L4D 1 and there isn't much difference between the 2 games graphically.

I ran SiSoft Sandra GPU benchmarks and my GT 9600 scored quite a bit lower then the reference cards.

My memory and CPU clock are both at stock.

Is this a driver problem? What can I do to improve things, please?

More about : geforce 9600 win7 terrible performance

a b Î Nvidia
December 8, 2009 9:35:42 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Do you have the latest VGA drivers installed ?
You would have done this but have you refreshed your windows score ?
Anonymous
December 8, 2009 9:48:10 AM

Hihi

I have the latest driver, and I just refreshed my wndows score but its the same (5.3). Nothing is overheating either. Also, I have a Power On Tsunami 585w PSU as well.
Related resources
December 8, 2009 11:49:07 AM

Well, to be honest, that card isn't exactly a powerhouse, plus, you only have 2GB of RAM. The Vista / 7 shell uses up quite a bit more RAM than XP does, and could be the cause of this.

What are the clock speeds of your card?
Anonymous
December 8, 2009 2:50:36 PM

Both memory and GPU are at stock. (650mhz gpu / 900 mhz memory / 1650 shader)

I turned off all the visual enhancements on windows 7, its now a lot like XP again, lol. Anyway, I realise the card isn't up there with the best, but my point is that the performance is seriously less than it was before. I used to get 50 FPS average with all settings maxed on RE5 which I reckon is pretty good. Now it's like 30.1. avg.

Is this due to driver issues? Or something else? Shall I roll back to the 8xx nvidia drivers? The fact that turning down just the shader quality on L4D2 gives me a massive FPS boost indicate driver issues? Help!
Anonymous
December 9, 2009 1:52:01 PM

help
!