Sign in with
Your question

Soundcard blew

Last response: in Components
February 16, 2010 8:39:26 PM

Hello,
well ive done somthing pretty rediculos.took out headphones from toshiba satellite laptop and no more sound.so,i hopped online and understood that the switch for the headphones is stuck.so like a fiend for the net,i repeatedly and gently put the jack in and out for a few minutes.next i took a mini screw driver.i could now hear the speakers.exept it just crackle and pop.the genious i am i stuck another screwdriver in the mic port.they touched and my laptop kicked the bed,or so i thought.3 years later i take the battery out and it works without sound.have i blown my sound card? or somthing that i cant easilly fix.ty

More about : soundcard blew

February 16, 2010 8:59:14 PM

Have you checked the sound card driver installation? It seems as if you instantly drained/toasted the battery. Your sound may not work if too much power went trough. I would suggest that you get an external sound card for your laptop if you can't get it working. At least then you can use the laptop and still have sound.
m
l
February 16, 2010 9:18:08 PM

It's impossible to say for sure without a schematic, but I wouldn't expect shorting the mic input to the headphone jack to damage anything. It's my guess that you have the original problem--funky jack. Does the sound work with headphones? You might have physically messed up the jack. (In the future, get a can of contact cleaner and squirt some in before "gently" exercising it with the plug.)
m
l
!