I7-920 won't fit in Asus P6T Deluxe?!

everluck

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I'm trying to put together my new PC. I have an Asus P6T deluxe motherboard and I'm trying to install an i7-920. But it won't fit! I've made sure it's aligned and set properly, but the CPU hinge won't lock once the processor is in place. I'm freaking out. I've done this before and have never run into this problem (but I've never worked with parts this expensive, which is why I'm worrying so much). Somebody please help, I have parts lying all over my kitchen and I don't want to have to pack it in for the night.

It seems like the "fins" at the side of the CPU bracket that rest on the top of the processor are what's keeping it elevated. I can't figure out the problem here. It looks like it's set correctly and I have it perfectly aligned, but I can't close the CPU bar more than halfway. I don't want to put any pressure on it because I don't want to bend the board's pins.

everluck

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply. It's around 4:50 of that vid that I'm having trouble. I have to put much more pressure than I'm comfortable with pushing down the lock for the CPU. Far, far more pressure than I've ever had to use to install a CPU before. Is this normal for 1366 sockets? This is expensive hardware and the possibility of breaking pins is scaring me :(