A little knowledge about my intel i5 2500k would be appreciated.

randomsteve95370

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hello all,

First of I want to say that I know this question has been asked dozens of times and I have read through a lot of threads like this one but I just need a bit more help if that wouldn't be to much trouble for one or two of you helpful people out there.

With the help of the kind people here in a different forum I put together my "dream computer" At the time of buying the parts I had in mind the idea of OC'ing my cpu mainly for the fun of it not really because its needed. The thought of OC'ing is exciting and terrifying all at the same time, so I have some concerns and some things that I would like to get cleared up if at all possible.

Here are my basic computer specs to give you an idea of what we are dealing with:

intel core i5 2500k
Gigabyte p67X-UD3-B3 MoBo
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Hyper 212 CPU cooler with 2 120's mounted on it,
Antec Illusion 300 with 4x 120's and 1x 140mm
ATI radeon Hd 6770 GPU
OCZ 600W modular PSU

So as you can see I had OC'ing in mind for sure when I built the system, but I have some questions.

1. I don't really need to OC for any reason more of just a bragging type thing :p but is there any reason why I shouldn't OC? I would like to make this setup last as long as possible Probably atleast 3yrs if not longer. I know that there is a big debate over if OC'ing will lower CPU life.
2. Right now average CPU temp (unless gaming or doing something strenuous) is 30C. If I OC would my base temp be higher? Or would it just be my max load temp?
3.I have been doing several stress tests lately (the whole gamut of tests from OCCT, Itel burn test, and Prime95) and they all stabilize at 50C for all 4 cores using CPUID and CORE Temp with the CPU still at stock settings . Is this a bad temp for my setup as it is? Or is this about were it should be?
4.Will OC'ing provide a noticeable improvement for me? I dont really ever get Higher then a 75% CPU load and mostly Its not that high.

Any way those are concerns of mine and I would appreciate it very much if someone here could help address at least some of them. Any way thanks in advance and as always Cheers!

manu 11

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
1. if yo oc your i5, it will last more than 3 years and thats for sure.
2.temps are great, no worries here. yes your base as well as load temps will be higher if you oc.
3.great temp at load, no worries.
4.yes oc gives you noticeable improvements in games on lower resolution, at higher resolution oc doesnt help much, arround 5-6 fps but in some games 10 fps. its your choice, oc or nt, i5 2500k is a great cpu.

My suggestion, if your games or apps start slowing down, dont hesitate to oc, it will be a wise decision.

randomsteve95370

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
ok well you helped clear up a lot for me, other opinions are always appreciated so I wont be marking this as solved just yet but you answered my questions for sure. I would also like to ask were would you push the temps to at full load when OC'ing? I have heard some say not higher then 60s I have heard some say that 80s are no problem, IMO I think that 80s seem really high but thats just me.

randomsteve95370

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I dont use my computer for anything to strenuous ever really. I do a lot a lot a lot of multi tasking but the only real game that gives the rig any type of stress is when I lan game command and conquer red alert 3 here and there. Like I said no real need to OC just something I always thought would be cool to do, and then I could brag about it :p