Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which is better intel i3 or phenom II x2???

Last response: in CPUs
February 17, 2010 1:00:49 AM

im planning to switch from intel into phenom 2. coz i series is expensive there using ddr3 memory compare to ddr2 of phenom 2 if i change my board .... but my cousin said to me intel is better than amd i dont know exactly why.. but base on my research phenom 2 x2 is in the mid range of intel i3 and i5 coz phenom 2 x2 is using a L3 cache 6mb comapre to i3 has only 4mb L3 cache and its near to i5 has a L3 cache 8mb .... i dont know if my plan is right to switch to amd phenom 2 .... please someone help me to make a good decision :( 

More about : intel phenom

Best solution

February 17, 2010 1:47:31 AM

pixar1942 said:
im planning to switch from intel into phenom 2. coz i series is expensive there using ddr3 memory compare to ddr2 of phenom 2 if i change my board .... but my cousin said to me intel is better than amd i dont know exactly why.. but base on my research phenom 2 x2 is in the mid range of intel i3 and i5 coz phenom 2 x2 is using a L3 cache 6mb comapre to i3 has only 4mb L3 cache and its near to i5 has a L3 cache 8mb .... i dont know if my plan is right to switch to amd phenom 2 .... please someone help me to make a good decision :( 

Toms did a little bench on this a while ago, the actual CPU on the i3 (since the i3 has a small gpu on the chip) is weaker than a Phenom II x 2. If your not planning to use the igp on the i3, and instead want to get or already have a decent graphics card, go with the phenom II x2. Also phenom IIs can use ddr3 in addition to ddr2.

A suggestion would be the Athlon II x3 or x4, they are much cheaper than either the Phenom II or I3, and perform better than the i3 overall. Pair that with a 785G mobo and you have yourself a pretty nice HTPC system.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 2:09:26 AM

yannifb said:
Toms did a little bench on this a while ago, the actual CPU on the i3 (since the i3 has a small gpu on the chip) is weaker than a Phenom II x 2. If your not planning to use the igp on the i3, and instead want to get or already have a decent graphics card, go with the phenom II x2. Also phenom IIs can use ddr3 in addition to ddr2.

A suggestion would be the Athlon II x3 or x4, they are much cheaper than either the Phenom II or I3, and perform better than the i3 overall. Pair that with a 785G mobo and you have yourself a pretty nice HTPC system.

Did they? Where is it? I only see the performance comparison between PentiumG9650 vs PII x2 555 at TOM.

Show us the benchmark you mentioned.
February 17, 2010 4:05:42 AM

Oh yeah i just realized that, but there is a bench that i was talking about, just not tomshardware. Look at the 'is intel doomed thread' (i think its that one) and about ten or so pages back from where it is now (or whenever i3 was released) there were several benches being thrown back and forth about i3s and AthlonIIs/PhenomIIs.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 2:44:21 PM

What will be the main for your computer and the budget for your upgrade? You may not to get a quadcore.

For budget builds and mid-range systems, you get more bang for the buck with AMD.

Unless you're a total power user and your apps use and max out 8 threads (ie video encoding, CS photo edit of very large files,) then you'll get more value with AMD. Both Intel and AMD CPUs overclock about the same as far as 8 to 10 to 13 percent gain without pushing extreme additional voltage so you can get more value that way too.

February 17, 2010 11:17:22 PM

Best answer selected by pixar1942.
February 17, 2010 11:36:31 PM

andy5174 said:
What models of i3 and PII x2 are you looking at? What's the pricing of them at your location?

Reading the article in the link below should give you some idea about the peformance.(note: Lower is better in some charts)
Other sites: http://www.hardcoreware.net/amd-vs-intel-100-150-dollar...

Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=372...

"the price between i3 and pII x2 here is big difference the i3 here cost you 6000 pesos in dollar $130 and pII x2 it cost 4500 pesos.. $97 thats why im planning to transfer in pII x2 if i want an i series type processor and if i want i3 i will change my mobo and ram from ddr2 into ddr3 ... ddr3 here is expensive Corsair 2GB XMS3 $84 .... thats the reason why am i planning to switch in amd.. maybe if i got a job i will get an i5 pros but when in 2013 hehehe :na:  .what can i do im just a student if i want to upgrade my pc i need to keep my money for every parts of my pc i mean one by one ^_^
February 18, 2010 12:32:38 AM

Read the whole article, the Ph II x2 actually trades blows with it. Not to mention a 70 or so dollar Athlon II x3 outperforms it across the board which, if you read my post, I was suggesting.
February 19, 2010 10:24:40 PM

Quote:
Core I3 Weaker then a P2 X2? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Where do you people full this *** from? The X2 isn't even close to the I3

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=118&p2=12...

i think yannifb was right because l3 just a 35nm and its a dual core pross but the pII x2 is a 45nm although its same to the i3 dual core type .... maybe you are right because i3 is using ddr3 memory.. i3 can owned pII x2 because pII x2 can run in ddr2 or ddr3. but it depends on the user if he/she want to use ddr2 or 3 memory ... hmm why dont you compare the 2 pross with same memory ddr3 1066,1333 etc etc . im sure pII x2 will owned now :sol:  ..... by the way i saw your posted link hmmmm lots of the software bench to the pII x2 vs i3 ... was owned by pII x2.. pII x2 scored =24/43 and i3 only got= 19/43 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 
February 19, 2010 11:31:29 PM

ok the phenomIIx2 is a beast you can unlock 2 cores making it a quad core and then overclock it and will blow the i3 away
February 20, 2010 8:54:18 PM

Quote:
Considering a 965 X4 At 4Ghz couldn't even beat my I3 @ 4.8Ghz in Cinebench. I'd say an overclocked I3 has the advantage because it can easily go over 4.4Ghz

Considering a 965 can keep up with a i5, i find that this is almost complete bs. Post some proof.

Also my 955 gets 00:59 to 1:04 in cinebench
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2010 10:15:58 PM

Phenom II X4 vs i3 is silly in most occasions.

But so is Phenom II X2 vs i3. :)  I couldn't imagine choosing Phenom II X2 over i3 unless you get lucky and get clean unlocked cores. i3 has unbelievable OC headroom.
!