How much fraps will I gain overclocking 2500k to 5GHz from 3.3GHz?

Solution
It depends on the game. In CPU intensive games like Starcraft 2, you'll notice a huge difference probably >30%. In FPS games, probably not much. It also depends on your GPU.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Hell no... Dont buy a SSD, it just have effect on game loading, doesn't increase FPS/Fraps... What actually could increase the FPS in games is Video Card(mostly) and few FPS like 1-5FPS in game with CPU OCing, I doubt you would reach 5GHz because most CPU reaches 4.8GHz at 1.3v-1.35v

cbrunnem

Distinguished

the answer is not a lot. in games like bf3 and skyrim you will gain some but other then those games and a few others you would gain a lot in gpu upgrades.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

we were refering to FRAPS which would benefit from a faster drive.

Honestly, I should have said this in the other thread I was in on, but you won't gain many FPS yet from OC'ing a 2500K (well, if you're gaming at a super low res, you might). With a 2500K, especially at anything over 4.5Ghz, the GPU will be the most limiting factor, for now, as the GPU will have a hard time keeping up, unless it's an absolute top end GPU. In the future, it'll probably help a bit more, but for now, it's not really worth it.

Way more FPS to be gained from a GPU OC.

That is absolutely correct CPU intensive games additionally like Microsoft's Flight Simulator 10 do show FPS increases from overclocking the CPU, non CPU intensive games show almost zero FPS gains from a CPU overclock, as those games are reliant on GPU performance and overclocking the CPU does not increase GPU performance in those games.