Diablo II expansion --- how is it?

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Diablo II expansion --- how is it?

Anyone got it yet?
Is it worth the money?
Do all the classes start over or is there still 50 million level 98 barbs with 300+ Lances running amok?

Thx & Cya

<font color=green>I may go to <font color=red>hell</font color=red> but at least I won't get lonely</font color=green>

G

I'm rather curious myself. BTW, how much does it cost retail value anyhow?...On another note they reset the Ladder on June 30th, to make it more fair i gues for newer players to ascend the ladder. As well there are apparently even better weopons than lances with 300+ dmg in the game.

True Ascension is the realizations and undertsanding of one's self

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
As a game, it sucks three holes, sideways. Just like the Icewind Dale expansion, and the Age of Empires 2: Conquerers expansion do.

As a patch, it is outstanding. Just like the Icewind Dale expansion, and the Age of Empires 2: Conquerers are.

So, you get a really good $30 patch. If you liked (and still like, that's the key here) playing Diablo 2, then yes; you really do want this outstanding patch.

G

A patch? I don't think so... should of it been part of the original game? yes of course. For some reason, I feel that I wouldn't appreciate the game as much if It was not an expansion pack. I think it is well worth your money. 2 new character classes, 800x600 resolution (MUST have if your playing on a 19" or larger screen)(They should of included even higher resolutions like BG2), new items, new act. for $30-$35 it was a bit steep, but the improvements in my opinion are substantial.
The rankings now have an expansion set ranking. Expansion players can go on that instead. Problem is, you can convert a character to an expansion rules character thus throwing you immediately into the expansion ladder rankings. The only way I can see a resetting of the ladder to work is to erase everything and start over.

My favorite features would have to be the better socketting system, the new resolution, and the larger stash.

Those things above I think add more to the game than the new characters. It is a tad buggy, but the only problems I have had is with battlenet and not the game.

I have not played Act 5 yet so I cannot give any input on the quality of the expansion story.

Hope this helps in your decision.

btw... once the price goes down to $20, it is a MUST buy. Don't knock the expansion... remember hellfire? It could have been that bad.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i think the lack of responses to this pretty much explains it all: everyones too busy playing. I would say they almost double the game content with the addition of runes and crafting items on top of act 5.
i have a lvl 58 assasin in act 4 of hell mode. i can honestly say ive never played a game this much in such a short period of time ever.

eh, i'll procrastinate later...

HandOfDragon

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
It's not worth the price. If you can get it in less than $20 then go for it. Otherwise, stay cool and keep your bucks in your pocket. I regret bought it. Only thing I like is the incresing resolution (to 800x600). It's like HOW (IWD expansion). I even think that HOW is better. Anyway, you basically get two new classes with many new items. All is useless because of its repetitive way of playing. Just my 2 cents

Nvidia or ATI, it's all depend on what you like and system optimization :lol:

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I disagree completely. I can't speak of the other expansions you guys are quoting, but for $30, what the price of a movie and dinner, I got one hell of a patch, 2 new classes, 800x600 which is awesome on my 19inch, and a new itch to keep playing. Hell just the ablility and frequency at which you find new stuff is better. Apparently blizzard changed the drop rates, and some other tweaks to game play.

Things I would have added:

first would have been a charm chain of some sort. Charms fill your backpack quick. So a chain of some sort that would allow you to stack them would have been nice. Other than that, I suppose more socketable items would have been nice.

All said, I love it. Well worth $30 bucks.

These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if you dont like the repitive play, then you probably didnt like the original diablo 2 either, so what made you buy the expansion?

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
oh yea, and i have a level 68 assasin, what does everyone else have? i would be on the ladder, but i made my character 2 days before the realms reset. bah...

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i agree an increase in resolution is a good thing... but 800x600 is still way too low for my liking... i think 1600x1200 (the resolution i play most games at) would be a lot better... maybe even make the characters smaller and show more of the map... i remember when i had a 17 incher i used to shrink it down to the smallest area possible (like 10 inches diagonal) to get the best resolution (in dots per inch not X by Y) to make it seem nicer... it worked... playing it on my 22 incher is a total waste... even at 800 x 600

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you dont play role playing games for the graphics, sorry to say. if you want bleeding edge graphics and high resolution, then go for 3D action games.