How to shut down with less than three clicks (a workaround)

wpcoe

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Create a Desktop shortcut: shutdown /s /full /t 0

Drag that shortcut to the taskbar and pin it there (and maybe assign a more relevant icon and/or set it to run minimized.)

Voilá! From the Metro Start screen: (1) click on Desktop, then (2) click on the taskbar shortcut -- two clicks to a full shutdown.

You can create a similar shortcut for restart: shutdown /r /t 0

Until/unless we can create such a shortcut directly on the Metro Start screen, I think that's the quickest method?

beavermml

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
emm... is your case too old? i thought we can customize the power action in the power control setting.. i set my on/off button to sleep my pc when ever i push it... faster than using windows

wpcoe

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010

So, using less clicks is being lazy.

Do you have any shortcuts on your desktop? Do you, shudder, *use* any of them? Why? Are you *that* lazy? :lol:

I just looove posters who get their jollies by thread crapping. Don't you? :kaola:

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
wpcoe, don't go getting your panties all in a twist! Sometimes I will attempt a, what I think, is a humorous or probably sarcastic remark, on a forum page which which may not be of the most critical importance, such as how to recover from a loss of a 5 drive RAID array or a situation in which someone crapped out their DX drivers because they changed something in the BIOS.
Sorry if I offended you.
Of course I use shortcuts. I just don't get anal about it!

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Thats the way to do it :D

but if ure interestred in having a desktop shotrcut, the shutdown command is the way to do it. (use the /r parameter to reboot instread) look at the second post for exact syntax

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Delroy.....
U R aA PITA! I don't blame wpcoe for getting a bit frustrated. This is no place for sarcasm and your comments were definitely sarcastic! If you can't post in here without the sarcasm and attitude, then don't post!

Anyone else agree?

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Youngster: Are you using Win 7? Can u b a little more detailed about how to make the shorcut? I have tried with no success. Thanks!

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
I've used this for a while. If you're wondering what for, then I can simply say remote desktop. Often times you can't do a remote shutdown, but this shortcut is a simple workaround. Usually I do this with a 1minute timer, in case someone on the other side wants to resume command of the system (which usually never happens but better safe than sorry).

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Start, run, type: 'notepad' and click ok

Enter the commands into notepad.... in this case lets make it
shutdown /r /t 0
then go to file, save as...
select at the bottom 'save as file type' change this to "all files" - this is important
and name your file... lets say reboot.bat - the name is irrelevant as long as you have .bat at the end.

im assuming you chose to save this file on your desktop... all you have to do now is click on it, like a normal program, and the commands will be executed

best of luck ^^