Sign in with
Your question

How to shut down with less than three clicks (a workaround)

Last response: in Windows 8
March 4, 2012 1:21:14 AM

Create a Desktop shortcut: shutdown /s /full /t 0

Drag that shortcut to the taskbar and pin it there (and maybe assign a more relevant icon and/or set it to run minimized.)

Voilá! From the Metro Start screen: (1) click on Desktop, then (2) click on the taskbar shortcut -- two clicks to a full shutdown.

You can create a similar shortcut for restart: shutdown /r /t 0

Until/unless we can create such a shortcut directly on the Metro Start screen, I think that's the quickest method?

More about : shut clicks workaround

March 4, 2012 1:23:27 AM

lol.. i just push down the on/off button on my case.... 1 click only
m
l
March 4, 2012 1:28:38 AM

Hmmm. The power button on my computer does a hard shut down = same as switching off the power without shutting down windows.

And, how do you Restart?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 4, 2012 1:45:21 AM

Just when I thought people couldn't be more lazy...
m
l
March 4, 2012 1:53:35 AM

Hmmm, you call it lazy. I call it more efficient. I use a computer to save time in tasks.
m
l
March 4, 2012 2:39:36 AM

Yeah, me too, wpcoe. I just haven't taught my computer how to do the dishes and clean house yet..
m
l
March 4, 2012 5:06:22 AM

emm... is your case too old? i thought we can customize the power action in the power control setting.. i set my on/off button to sleep my pc when ever i push it... faster than using windows
m
l
March 4, 2012 6:56:01 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
Just when I thought people couldn't be more lazy...

So, using less clicks is being lazy.

Do you have any shortcuts on your desktop? Do you, shudder, *use* any of them? Why? Are you *that* lazy? :lol: 

I just looove posters who get their jollies by thread crapping. Don't you? :kaola: 
m
l
March 4, 2012 8:36:54 AM

If you have a logitech gaming keyboard (G510) you can map all kinds of 1press functions to any/all of the G-keys.
m
l
March 4, 2012 8:52:59 AM

Btw you can get the start reset hibernate sleep gadget that works in win 7 / vista thats what i did...
m
l
March 4, 2012 11:10:53 AM

wpcoe, don't go getting your panties all in a twist! Sometimes I will attempt a, what I think, is a humorous or probably sarcastic remark, on a forum page which which may not be of the most critical importance, such as how to recover from a loss of a 5 drive RAID array or a situation in which someone crapped out their DX drivers because they changed something in the BIOS.
Sorry if I offended you.
Of course I use shortcuts. I just don't get anal about it!
m
l
March 4, 2012 2:11:45 PM

Get a keyboard with a hibernate button. Woooot! ;) 
m
l
March 4, 2012 2:39:33 PM

This is an old routine, not a new one. Besides, you can easily download a sidebar gadget that does a lot more things than shutting down the PC.
m
l
March 4, 2012 3:34:03 PM

beavermml said:
lol.. i just push down the on/off button on my case.... 1 click only

Thats the way to do it :D 

but if ure interestred in having a desktop shotrcut, the shutdown command is the way to do it. (use the /r parameter to reboot instread) look at the second post for exact syntax
m
l
March 4, 2012 3:54:51 PM

Delroy.....
U R aA PITA! I don't blame wpcoe for getting a bit frustrated. This is no place for sarcasm and your comments were definitely sarcastic! If you can't post in here without the sarcasm and attitude, then don't post!

Anyone else agree?
m
l
March 4, 2012 4:02:09 PM

Reach down and pull the plug from the wall socket=no clicks.
m
l
March 4, 2012 4:03:30 PM

wpcoe said:
Create a Desktop shortcut: shutdown /s /full /t 0

Drag that shortcut to the taskbar and pin it there (and maybe assign a more relevant icon and/or set it to run minimized.)

Voilá! From the Metro Start screen: (1) click on Desktop, then (2) click on the taskbar shortcut -- two clicks to a full shutdown.

You can create a similar shortcut for restart: shutdown /r /t 0

Until/unless we can create such a shortcut directly on the Metro Start screen, I think that's the quickest method?

Youngster: Are you using Win 7? Can u b a little more detailed about how to make the shorcut? I have tried with no success. Thanks!
m
l
March 4, 2012 4:15:50 PM

I've used this for a while. If you're wondering what for, then I can simply say remote desktop. Often times you can't do a remote shutdown, but this shortcut is a simple workaround. Usually I do this with a 1minute timer, in case someone on the other side wants to resume command of the system (which usually never happens but better safe than sorry).
m
l
March 4, 2012 5:05:01 PM

i just use Alt F4 and enter.
m
l
March 4, 2012 6:18:05 PM

terryd75 said:
Youngster: Are you using Win 7? Can u b a little more detailed about how to make the shorcut? I have tried with no success. Thanks!

Start, run, type: 'notepad' and click ok

Enter the commands into notepad.... in this case lets make it
shutdown /r /t 0
then go to file, save as...
select at the bottom 'save as file type' change this to "all files" - this is important
and name your file... lets say reboot.bat - the name is irrelevant as long as you have .bat at the end.

im assuming you chose to save this file on your desktop... all you have to do now is click on it, like a normal program, and the commands will be executed

best of luck ^^
m
l
!