Ping resolves to provider DNS address

coppertrail

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I have a DIR-655 router running the latest firmware and I use OpenDNS for my DNS servers on the router.

When I ping a host on my LAN, rather than resolving to the 192.168.2.x NAT address, it resolves to a DNS server.

The problem this presents is that I have to Remote Desktop to the LAN IP of the host rather than the host name.

I've disabled DNS Passthrough on the router and NetBIOS is set to Hybrid. I've tried some things such as unchecking "Register this connection's IP address in DNS" but it's still resolving to DNS.

Any thoughts on how to get it resolving back to LAN NAT addresses?

Thanks,

CT

riser

Illustrious
Sounds like your computers are using your ISP DNS to resolve and not your local DNS. I'm not familiar with OpenDNS and how its configured, but generally you have a list of DNS servers you use and then you have a list of DNS servers you can forward DNS requests onto.

I would take a guess that you have your DNS servers listed under the ISP DNS, meaning the computers resolve to the ISP DNS first.
Or you have your main DNS servers being yours and the ISPs, instead of listing the ISP DNS as a Forward (if not resolved locally).

Check your computers to see what their DNS IP address is. If its your local DNS server, check your DNS server to make sure its resolving to itself before it forwards the request off to the ISP DNS.