• Water Cooling
  • Cases
  • Intel i7
  • Corsair
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
May 26, 2012 2:37:22 PM

So I have a corsair H70 on an i7 960.
At stock speeds the idle temps are around 45°C and at 4.2GHz the idle temps are between 49-52 °C between cores. Temps were approaching 90°C during Prime 95.

Does this seem a little high for having a H70 on it?

I only have one fan on it pulling the air out of my case due to how my case it set up. I've read elsewhere though that the temps are supposed to be lower even with just the one fan. Tried changing airflow direction into the case like corsair suggested and temps were even higher.

Should I reseat my H70 with some arctic silver 5?

I heard that the stock thermal paste was supposed to be better than ac5. Just don't know what's up with my temps.

More about : corsair h70 temps

a c 150 K Overclocking
May 26, 2012 2:41:45 PM

Try lowering your voltage.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 10:01:26 PM

Your best CPU cooling will be with the fan pulling cool air into the case from the outside. Also, 2 fans will work better than 1 fan regardless of pulling air in or exhausting out of the case.
m
l
Related resources
May 30, 2012 7:01:59 PM

XMSYellowbeard said:
Your best CPU cooling will be with the fan pulling cool air into the case from the outside. Also, 2 fans will work better than 1 fan regardless of pulling air in or exhausting out of the case.

actually tried that and temps went up. Switched air flow direction back and temps went back down. So in my case I guess that's not the case.
m
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 8:41:24 PM

New or older install? Just checking to see if there is dust buildup on the radiator.

Does it make a difference if you have the side of the case open with a house or desk fan blowing in or not? Try this, see if your temps drop at load and with the H70 fan in both directions.

This would determine if it's a case airflow issue or an issue with the fan/H70.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 5:40:44 PM

What's your ambient temp there? If you happen to live on a tropical country, near the equator then you should try lowering the clock speed. Ambient temp is an important factor too.
m
l
!