Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need advice on a budget PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 7, 2009 3:39:16 AM

Hey guys, I have been looking into building a new PC for some time now. Currently I have an 8 year old system with a P4 2.66GHz, a [shitty] ECS motherboard, 1GB of DDR PC2700 memory, and an ATI X1300 Pro AGP x4, which has served me fairly well until now. I mostly use it for web browsing, word processing, e-mail, and light photo editing. However, I believe it is time for a new computer to meet the demands of today's programs.
Any who, I saw this combo deal on Newegg today and am thinking about ordering it. What do you guys think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

Also, I have included information if anyone wants to make suggestions for builds meeting my criteria.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within two weeks

BUDGET RANGE: $300-$450 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: web browsing, word processing, chatting, light gaming (maybe), photo editing, and light video editing (in the future).

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: case (bought an Antec 300 Illusion), keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, Tigerdirect, Amazon

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU. Gigabyte or ASUS motherboard. nVidia GPU

OVERCLOCKING: Yes (light overclocking)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900, 1360x768

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: If possible, I would like to use quality parts to ensure reliability.

Thanks in advance! :) 

More about : advice budget

December 7, 2009 4:09:32 AM

For fresh build best go DDR3 platforms ^^ $356 AR

m
0
l
December 7, 2009 4:12:45 AM

batuchka said:
For fresh build best go DDR3 platforms ^^ $356 AR
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/batuchka/khop.jpg

Thank you for taking the time and putting that together for me batuchka! I really appreciate it! However, I would like to have an Intel CPU, as I'm not a big fan of AMD. Thanks! :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
December 7, 2009 4:32:23 AM

Try this:

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$99 -Freeshipping

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$70 -After rebate

SAPPHIRE 100295HDMI Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$65

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333G (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1333GB2G8-AG - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$89

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$55 -Freeshipping

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$45 -After rebates

Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$28 -Freeshipping

Total = $451 -After rebates

This build has more ram, a quad-core cpu, and a 4670, which makes this build great for multi-tasking and modern gaming. I didn't include a case because you already have the Antec Illusion. Oh, and the quad + 4gb of ram will help ALOT in video and photo editing.
m
0
l
December 7, 2009 4:38:04 AM

MothMusic said:
Try this:

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$99 -Freeshipping

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$70 -After rebate

SAPPHIRE 100295HDMI Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$65

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333G (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1333GB2G8-AG - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$89

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$55 -Freeshipping

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$45 -After rebates

Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$28 -Freeshipping

Total = $451 -After rebates

This build has more ram, a quad-core cpu, and a 4670, which makes this build great for multi-tasking and modern gaming. I didn't include a case because you already have the Antec Illusion. Oh, and the quad + 4gb of ram will help ALOT in video and photo editing.

Thank you for taking the time to put that list together for me mothmusic! I really appreciate it! However, as I stated above, I would like an Intel CPU because I am not a fan of AMD CPUs. Thanks! :) 
m
0
l
December 7, 2009 4:44:31 AM

skool said:
Thank you for taking the time to put that list together for me mothmusic! I really appreciate it! However, as I stated above, I would like an Intel CPU because I am not a fan of AMD CPUs. Thanks! :) 


I know how tempting that is, but Intel simply doesnt offer chips that are as powerful at this price.
m
0
l
December 7, 2009 4:49:26 AM

skool said:
Thank you for taking the time to put that list together for me mothmusic! I really appreciate it! However, as I stated above, I would like an Intel CPU because I am not a fan of AMD CPUs. Thanks! :) 


Why do love Intel so much anyways? AMD is the little guy...
m
0
l
December 7, 2009 4:49:42 AM

MothMusic said:
I know how tempting that is, but Intel simply doesnt offer chips that are as powerful at this price.

I completely understand what you mean and I do agree with you mothmusic. It's just I prefer Intel for this build, I have never had luck with AMDs and I've noticed they run much warmer than Intel CPUs do.
m
0
l
December 7, 2009 4:04:00 PM

actually newer intel chips run warmer then newer amd chips
m
0
l
December 7, 2009 4:05:34 PM

obsidian86 said:
actually newer intel chips run warmer then newer amd chips


Its true.
m
0
l
December 7, 2009 4:20:26 PM

MothMusic said:
Its true.

interesting lol. well, either way I prefer Intel over AMD for my build. Thanks for the input guys! :D 
m
0
l
December 7, 2009 4:39:10 PM

Here you go, just use the links for the other parts from the previous build I posted, they didn't copy right. And the mobo is $100, but on sale for 75, a good deal:

Update: Added a more powerful gpu for 5 dollars less than the 4670.

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$95 -Freeshipping

ASRock G43Twins-FullHD LGA 775 Intel G43 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$75

EVGA 01G-P3-N964-LR GeForce 9600 GSO 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$60 -After rebates, freeshippng

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333G (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1333GB2G8-AG - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820211410
$89

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822152181
$55 -Freeshipping

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817341022
$45 -After rebates

Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product
$28 -Freeshipping

Total = $447 -After rebates
m
0
l
!