Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How much is a reasonable price on a ATI HD 5870 today?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2009 2:35:39 AM

I have been chasing the elusive 5870 for almost 2 months to no avail... I'm about to give up and pay an eBay "scalper" for one. How much do you all think it's a fair price to pay? Most auctions end at $510-560. I've seen even more absurd prices on USED videocards! Some sellers in Asia are asking ridiculous $588.00 for OEM cards with no box, accessories or software-- not to mention shipping costs and delivering delay. The Sapphire Vapor-X models are impossible to find for less than $650.00 (might as well buy the 5970 for roughly the same). Having said that, how much do you think I should pay for one right now? (I'm ok with spending around $500.00 and up to $560.00 on a Vapor-X).
Will things get better after xtimas or there is no hope for another couple of months from now? :fou: 

Thanks in advance.

Best solution

December 8, 2009 2:49:14 AM

Newegg has a Powercolor for $426.99 right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you are itching for one, I'd jump on this. Are you in the US?

They jacked the price up a month or so ago because of low stock. They will start coming back to resellers soon. I got mine JUST before it happened for $389.
December 8, 2009 2:55:17 AM

Wow. It's actually in stock.

Too rich for my blood.
Related resources
December 8, 2009 2:58:00 AM

jay2tall said:
Newegg has a Powercolor for $426.99 right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you are itching for one, I'd jump on this. Are you in the US?

They jacked the price up a month or so ago because of low stock. They will start coming back to resellers soon. I got mine JUST before it happened for $389.

No, I'm not in the U.S right now, my only hope is eBay. NewEgg does not ship internationally. :( 
December 8, 2009 3:11:43 AM

^ Where are you located?
December 8, 2009 3:12:38 AM

jaguarskx said:
Wow. It's actually in stock.

Too rich for my blood.

Yeah, I'm glad I jumped on it when I did. It is crazy what the resellers have jacked the prices up to. But hey, if people are buying it, it's good business.
December 8, 2009 6:31:38 PM

jay2tall said:
^ Where are you located?

Hi, I am currently in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
I can buy a XFX HD 5870 for roughly 600 U.S Dollars here right now (surprisingly, there are plenty of them in stock in local stores here). However, I want the Sapphire Vapor-X model not the regular 5870... So I'd rather buy a Vapor-X off eBay for $600+ than a regular 5870 for the same price. Although, I'd be facing very high risks of having to pay nasty import taxes. As you can see, I'm in a bit of a dilemma...

Cheers.
December 8, 2009 6:37:29 PM

the standard cooler does a really good job actually. The Vapor-X cooler allows it to run a little cooler and that is about it. I haven't had to much luck getting mine to OC though. There is not that much headroom for OC.
December 8, 2009 6:43:54 PM

jay2tall said:
the standard cooler does a really good job actually. The Vapor-X cooler allows it to run a little cooler and that is about it. I haven't had to much luck getting mine to OC though. There is not that much headroom for OC.

What about noise?
December 8, 2009 7:28:15 PM

I have an ASUS 5870 and idle you don't even hear the thing, it idles so low. At load it is noticeable, but honestly not bad what so ever. I've had cards that were much MUCH louder.
!