Sign in with
Your question

Inexpensive gfx card: advice wanted

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2009 2:39:27 AM

Basically, I am looking for the best value graphics card that will run well on the following system:

System info can be found here: http://www.support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim51...
To specify, I have 1GB RAM and the graphics card is actually a radeon X300 SE.
The psu means I am only considering cards that don NOT require a PCIe power cable.

What is the best value card that fits the criteria above?

Ones I am considering atm are the HD 4650 and the HD 4670. I know the latter is the better card but does my system dictate that I get one over the other? Hell, is either too good for my system? Also, are there any Nvidia alternatives worht considering? The only ones I've come across are the low-end gt cards, although these are priced quite highly atm. Finally, is it worth waiting for prices to drop (due to ATI 5XXX series, or should I just buy now?

Sorry if some questions are noobish and thanks in advance for any replies.
a c 147 U Graphics card
December 8, 2009 2:46:36 AM

A 4670 is probably the most you can run in your current system. The 305w PSU should handle it fine. I wouldn't get anything more potent though. A stick of RAM might see some benefit if you are running games.

The P4 HT's are starting to show their age, if you are a gamer it is probably time to start saving.
m
l
December 8, 2009 3:35:07 AM

jay2tall said:
A 4670 is probably the most you can run in your current system. The 305w PSU should handle it fine. I wouldn't get anything more potent though. A stick of RAM might see some benefit if you are running games.

The P4 HT's are starting to show their age, if you are a gamer it is probably time to start saving.

Yep, agree with you about the processor. As I don't game too much I'm trying to creep by a little longer, untill I can upgrade properly.
m
l
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
December 8, 2009 3:47:45 AM

You can also do a GT240. It outperforms the 4670 by a little, but costs around $100. The 4670 has alot of rebates right now and you can get some deals. It doesn't sound like you game alot though.
m
l
December 8, 2009 4:07:53 AM

jay2tall said:
You can also do a GT240. It outperforms the 4670 by a little, but costs around $100. The 4670 has alot of rebates right now and you can get some deals. It doesn't sound like you game alot though.

No not really - the update is mainly to benefit the running of some programs required for my course, specifically a CAD application. It also would give me a bit more space for gaming if I wanted too.

A few last questions: Is there any particular make of ati card you would recommend, e.g saphire, or does it make no difference. And should I be getting the 512MB or the 1GB version?

Thanks for your help.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2009 4:20:31 AM

If you can get EVGA then it would be good. The difference is only in warranty most of the time. 1GB will only matter at high res and a big mintor. If the price difference is small get the 1GB version. Otherwise no problem getting the 512MB version.
m
l
December 8, 2009 4:37:07 AM

if its for CAD programs id recommend a card with 1gb but 512mb is fine.
The gt240 is to much a 305w psu, it would probly not work or you will get a loud bang.
the 4670 is ideal and most likely the best card you can get with that psu without worrying.
m
l
December 8, 2009 4:43:44 AM

The biggest boost you can give your system right now for CAD is more memory...the video card won't help you too much there.
m
l
December 8, 2009 1:15:47 PM

4670 now, 5670 january, gt240 has been shown to whup some serious arse
m
l
!