Inexpensive gfx card: advice wanted

Basically, I am looking for the best value graphics card that will run well on the following system:

System info can be found here: http://www.support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/specs1.htm#wp1052310
To specify, I have 1GB RAM and the graphics card is actually a radeon X300 SE.
The psu means I am only considering cards that don NOT require a PCIe power cable.

What is the best value card that fits the criteria above?

Ones I am considering atm are the HD 4650 and the HD 4670. I know the latter is the better card but does my system dictate that I get one over the other? Hell, is either too good for my system? Also, are there any Nvidia alternatives worht considering? The only ones I've come across are the low-end gt cards, although these are priced quite highly atm. Finally, is it worth waiting for prices to drop (due to ATI 5XXX series, or should I just buy now?

Sorry if some questions are noobish and thanks in advance for any replies.
8 answers Last reply
More about inexpensive card advice wanted
  1. A 4670 is probably the most you can run in your current system. The 305w PSU should handle it fine. I wouldn't get anything more potent though. A stick of RAM might see some benefit if you are running games.

The P4 HT's are starting to show their age, if you are a gamer it is probably time to start saving.
  2. jay2tall said:
    A 4670 is probably the most you can run in your current system. The 305w PSU should handle it fine. I wouldn't get anything more potent though. A stick of RAM might see some benefit if you are running games.

The P4 HT's are starting to show their age, if you are a gamer it is probably time to start saving.

Yep, agree with you about the processor. As I don't game too much I'm trying to creep by a little longer, untill I can upgrade properly.
  3. You can also do a GT240. It outperforms the 4670 by a little, but costs around $100. The 4670 has alot of rebates right now and you can get some deals. It doesn't sound like you game alot though.
  4. jay2tall said:
    You can also do a GT240. It outperforms the 4670 by a little, but costs around $100. The 4670 has alot of rebates right now and you can get some deals. It doesn't sound like you game alot though.

No not really - the update is mainly to benefit the running of some programs required for my course, specifically a CAD application. It also would give me a bit more space for gaming if I wanted too.

A few last questions: Is there any particular make of ati card you would recommend, e.g saphire, or does it make no difference. And should I be getting the 512MB or the 1GB version?

Thanks for your help.
  5. If you can get EVGA then it would be good. The difference is only in warranty most of the time. 1GB will only matter at high res and a big mintor. If the price difference is small get the 1GB version. Otherwise no problem getting the 512MB version.
  6. if its for CAD programs id recommend a card with 1gb but 512mb is fine.
    The gt240 is to much a 305w psu, it would probly not work or you will get a loud bang.
    the 4670 is ideal and most likely the best card you can get with that psu without worrying.
  7. The biggest boost you can give your system right now for CAD is more memory...the video card won't help you too much there.
  8. 4670 now, 5670 january, gt240 has been shown to whup some serious arse
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics