Computer flickers on and off

djlazlow

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Hello to all, I'll try to be brief and efficient with the problem I'm facing.
Last night, while chatting on Ventrilo, my computer suddenly shut down. When I tried to turn it back on, power to the system would flicker on and off fairly fast. I started the stripping process until I only had the motherboard (outside the case), CPU and heat sink plugged in. I tried using a different power supply and got the same results. I also tested the PSU that was on the system when it all happened using the paper clip technique posted on these forums, it worked fine. There's an orange light on my motherboard which flickers in the same rythym the system powers on and off, so I'm assuming this has something to do with it. When the system worked, this orange light would be solid the whole time, then a green light would follow upon successful POST. The only thing I had recently done was install a brand new Intel E7500 Core2Duo processor a few days ago. Also to note, the system had some dust built up, I'm not sure if this could've been the cause also. Besides those two things everything had been untouched; I always worked with an anti-static wristband to prevent damage to the components. I have also read the "Read this before posting boot problems" and searched for related posts without much luck. Here are my system specs:

Case: Antec 900
Motherboard: XFX 680i LT
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E7500 2.93Ghz (stock HS)
RAM: 2x2gb Kingston PC6200 DDR2
PSU: OCZ OCZGSX700 700w
DVD: Lite-on DVD-RW
GFX: BFG 8800GT
Sound: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi

The processor worked fine when I installed it a few days before, all I was running at the time was Firefox and Ventrilo. Thanks in advanced.

djlazlow

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Update 6/20/10 10PM PST:
After messing with the board for a bit with just the PSU plugged to it, the orange light stopped flickering and stayed on. I powered it up and the system was stable, no more intermittent power. I decided to put everything back together hoping it would work ok. After I plugged everything back, now I'm getting the very common "fans start and everything powers up, but system won't POST" inconvenience. I'm about to start stripping everything down again, but so far, it's not the RAM.