Formatted partitions by mistake. now i can not install any windows

jphendrick

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
hi

My laptop would start up, so i decided to reinstall windows 7, but at that moment i had no windows 7 disc so i booted up with a vista disc.

then i formatted the partitions and now i can not install any windows software.

the install process will go up to the screen where i have to select a partition in which to install, and in that box where all the partitions should be displayed i have no partitions and i do not have a back up cd to load any drivers that it is asking me for

could you please help in this

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

To install OS on hard drive, you must first create an primary partition, then you could install it. As I know before you start the installation of the Windows OS, the install disc will ask you to partition the hard drive first. Did you not get this? Or if possible, you could move your hard drive to another computer and make your drive as slave drive and create partition using the Disk Management then install your OS.

About the built-in disk management you could read more detials from the source "Disk Management in Windows 7"

jphendrick

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

HI THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

I HAVE TRIED DOING TO THE PRIMARY PARTITION IN THE COMMAND PROMPT BUT IT WOULD DO NOT DO IT. I CANT GO PASSED THAT OPTION, I THINK THIS DRIVE IS COMPLETLY EMPTY IT HAS GOT NOTHING FORM THE PREVIOUS WINDOWS VERSION.

I AM QUITE NEW AT THIS BUT I KNOW MY WAY AROUND IT. WHAT CAN I DO TO PARTITION THE DRIVES WITH INSTALLATIONS DISCS, IS IT POSSIBLE TO DOWNLOAD A DISC THAT CAN DO IT FOR ME AUTOMATICALLY.

OR COULD YOU GIVE ME A STEP BY STEP ON HOW TO DO IT FROM SCRATCH

THANKS

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Hi,
I could not find my Win7 installation disc, therefore I could only show you how to partition hard drive by useing Windows XP installation disc, but it is the same way to work on Winodws 7.

When you boot from the installation disc, and the main iterface of the Windows installtion.

1.To setup Windows XP now, press enter.
2. To repair an existing installation, press R.
3. To quit the installation and return to Windows, press ESC.

So at this time, you want to press [ENTER]. Now you see a license agreement, please press F8 once.

It will now search for a previous version of Windows and it will find your current install and show you where that is. You will be given 2 options.

To repair Windows XP, press R.
To continue with fresh installation of Windows XP, press ESC.

Please press the [ESC] key. Now you have 3 more options:

1.To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
2.To create a partition in the un-partitioned space, press C.
3.To delete the selected partition, press D.

Please press "C" now as we need to create a new partition on the hard disc. In the next screen, you have two more options:

To create a new partition, enter a size and press ENTER.
To go back to previous ... press ESC.

Please don't change the numbers unless you know what you’re doing, just press the [ENTER] key.

Now we are back in a familiar screen with 3 familiar options:

To set up Windows XP on selected item, press ENTER.
To create a partition ... press C.
To delete ... press D.

Please press the [ENTER] key. It is now going to prompt us to format the partition. By default, the following text will be highlighted, "Format the partition using NTFS files system." This is the one we want to use, (We don't want QUICK). So hit the [ENTER] key. Now you will see the screen that shows your disc being formatted and it will show a progress bar and all that.

Just sit and wait... and wait... and wait... it could take like 20 minutes....

Hope this could also help you.

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
When following the prompts for the Win7 installation, if you can select the actual disk, it will create the necessary partitions for you.