Sign in with
Your question

Time to move on from the tri core 720

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 3:43:12 AM

So I've been thinking a lot lately about moving on from my old trusty PII 720 in my AMD build. It's been about 6 months and I think I have used it a total of 3 months of that time. I had upgraded the motherboard to a GA-790GP-UD4H so it can take up to a 140W CPU (I think up to the PII 965 140 and 125 watt editions). And it's still running 8 GB of DDR2 1066 (unfortunately due to the fact it's technically a AM2+ motherboard running full 1066 on all 4 memory bays is unstable) downclocked to DDR2 800 and running my cross fired 4770's pretty well. I think I might go for a PII 955 and OC it to (hopefully) 3.6-4.0 Ghz. I honestly haven't researched what the limits are on that model, but I do know the PII 965 is the exact same chip, they just upped the multiplier. Actually that might be old since that statement was based on the 140W edition of the 965. Not sure about the differences between the 140W and 125W versions.

This is kind of a budget upgrade. Lately I've also been using my i5 750 exclusively and have it pretty much where I want it performance wise. I just want to run all quad core CPU's at the moment. And I want to retire my aging Q8200/DP45SG set up.

Any guidance on a upgrade path for this AMD would be appreciated. And hands on experience with the 955's would be nice as well. Oh, and I plan to keep running my Cooler Master Hyper 212+ as the CPU cooler since it's served me well.

Thanks!

More about : time move tri core 720

a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 6:41:47 AM

Pretty simple choice, really. Assuming budget is not an issue, go for the 955. Then you can up the multiplier and get a 965 for free.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 8:30:28 AM

budget is an issue. I'm kinda broke, unemployed and only gonna get unemployment for 2 more months.
Related resources
February 17, 2010 8:51:29 AM

the 965 is known for hitting 4.0ghz alot of the time and the 955 is known for 3.6-3.8ghz overclocks. that is the difference. The way this works is that the cpus that tested lower become the 955 and the ones that tested higher become the 965. 200mhz isnt enough to care about. if money is an issue the 955 will do you just fine. unfortunately i owned a 955 and sent it in because of a bad memory controller and ended up getting one back with the exact same problem. i went ahead and got an i7 setup instead.
February 17, 2010 11:47:34 AM

I would unlock the 4th core and overclock
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 8:23:03 PM

zooted said:
I would unlock the 4th core and overclock

Didn't think you could unlock the cores on a gigabyte motherboard. I thought was was a biostar thing. @ZipZoomFlyHigh: The machine is going to be used for video encoding and light gaming (World of Warcraft, GTA IV).
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 8:53:07 PM

Quote:
You can unlock the cores on all kinds of motherboards, including gigabyte, lol.

If your doing light gaming, I see no reason to upgrade a tri-core.

I would have thought a quad would be better for video encoding.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 8:58:49 PM

Quote:
Didn't think you could unlock the cores on a gigabyte motherboard. I thought was was a biostar thing. @ZipZoomFlyHigh: The machine is going to be used for video encoding and light gaming (World of Warcraft, GTA IV).

On a Gigabyte board you need to change the EC Firmware Selection to Hybrid and then turn on ACC really easy to do - I've got mine unlocked and running for 24\7 use at 3.2 GHz. and it gets 15811 on 3dMark06.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 10:09:43 PM

JDFan said:
On a Gigabyte board you need to change the EC Firmware Selection to Hybrid and then turn on ACC really easy to do - I've got mine unlocked and running for 24\7 use at 3.2 GHz. and it gets 15811 on 3dMark06.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc189/JDFanning_bucket/Stats02.jpg

Yeah, I tried that. My PC won't boot with all cores unlocked (BSOD while loading Windows) so I think it's got an actual defective core. I admit to only trying a few configurations but once It wouldn't even boot with all cores enabled at 2.8 Ghz I threw in the towel. Good idea though.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2010 1:49:20 PM

Very simple. Not enough monitors/outlets to run all of them at once and I was looking to have a solution that, regardless of what PC is set up at the time, would be fast enough to get the job done. But it seems for now I am just goin to have to let this idea go. Especially since gaming isn't improved enough to justify the expense.
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2010 3:34:27 PM

And you need better money management frankly. You said you're broke and yet you already 2 quad core machines and a tri core. Yet you want to upgrade the tri-core machine for some crazy reason. If you dont have money dont upgrade. Use your i5 system as your main system. Put the best GPU or GPU's you got into it.

With your current money status and the systems you already have I cant recommend upgrading the AMD system. It is a flat out waste of money.
!