XFX GeForce 9500 GT

rlarson

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
If I order two of these cards (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=P450-9504), can I run 3 monitors with two DVI and one VGA?
Please let me know ASAP.

EDIT:
The below recommendation is only valid if one of your displays has a DisplayPort input.
If not, please post your current hardware and budget for better recommendations.

A 5750 will cost you $15 more than a pair of 9500gt's, give you many multiples the gaming performance, draw less power and allow you to run three displays off a single card.
The 9500gt is a junk card, even when ran in pairs.

Does it not also require an active display port adapter? and if so how much are they as that adds to the overall price.

My understanding is that an active display port adapter is only required if you want to run the third display at a resolution higher than 1920x1200.
I will double check this and, if that is not the case, post such back.

Alright, found the passage I was looking for.
From AnandTech's 5970 Review

Below we have a passive mini-DP to single-link DVI adapter. This is only capable of driving a maximum of 1920 x 1200:
miniDPtoDVI.jpg

This cable works fine on the Radeon HD 5970, but I couldn't have one of my displays running at a non-native resolution.

So, it will work fine with a standard DP=>DVI adapter unless you want to run a resolution above 1920x1200.
DisplayPort to DVI adapters can be found for as low as $11.99 on Newegg.
An added expense, yes, but nothing to break to bank over.

EDIT:
I missed the update just above my quote:
Update: AMD tells us that in order to use all three outputs, regardless of resolution, you need to use an active adapter for the miniDP output because the card runs out of timing sources.
Now I am confused.
They first say it works fine then update that you must use an active adapter for the miniDP regardless of resolution :/
I am not sure if this is limited to miniDP or not but, as newegg seems to stock quite a few adapters for standard DP to DVI, I would assume so.
The search for the truth continues...

I have found the answer.
It is both yes and no :/

Through This Thread and This .PDF, I have found that a passive DP=>DVI adapter can be used only if you have two or less displays connected.
As soon as you connect a third display you must use an active DP=>DVI adapter.

It seems that, unlike DVI or HDMI, DisplayPort does not have a separate clocking signal, instead it embeds the clocking signal into the data signal.
Apparently, however, a DisplayPort connection is capable of passing the complete DVI or HDMI signal through it.
Therefore, as long as a DVI port is not in use, the clocking signal can be generated and passed through the DP connection, requiring only a passive adapter.
Once all DVI ports are in use, the card is incapable of creating any more DVI clocking signals and an active adapter must be used to convert the DP signal to DVI.

The video signal is not compatible with DVI or HDMI, but a DisplayPort connector can pass these signals through. While DVI and HDMI require separate clock signals, DisplayPort embeds the clock in the data signal.
DisplayPort Wiki Page

So, unless the OP has a monitor with a DisplayPort connection, I withdraw my previous recommendation and ask the OP to post his current hardware and budget.

TRENDING THREADS