Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Running PC without graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2009 6:08:19 AM

After last main system upgrade there's some left unused parts. I would like to put them together and run something like web server etc. But I don't have spare graphics card. So I was wondering whether PC can run (boot, load OS) without graphics card (let's not consider option of buying some cheap card)? I "googled" but got no definite answer...

More about : running graphics card

December 8, 2009 6:09:47 AM

if your board got an integrated solution, by all means you can use that... but if it doesnt... you have to get a discrete one... But now worries, cheap fanless ones are like $20 and you dont neccesairly need the most high tech powerful ones.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2009 6:21:53 AM

lilotimz said:
if your board got an integrated solution, by all means you can use that... but if it doesnt... you have to get a discrete one... But now worries, cheap fanless ones are like $20 and you dont neccesairly need the most high tech powerful ones.

+1

If you tell us the motherboard you are going to use, then perhaps we can figure out if it has onboard video (IGP) or not.
Related resources
December 8, 2009 6:29:41 AM

It's a Nvidia nForce 4 mobo, and I'm sure there is no integrated graphics card.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2009 6:39:35 AM

Indeed, then pretty much any cheap graphics card can fulfill your needs, as long as you have no 3d gaming in mind for the box. Without one, you will not be able to feed video to a monitor.
December 8, 2009 6:51:46 AM

I was hoping to connect to it remotely, without connecting it to the monitor. Does this fact change anything?
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2009 6:54:50 AM

TBH, I don't have experience with that sort of set up. Hopefully someone who does can answer that question. Good night, and good luck. :D 
December 8, 2009 6:58:32 AM

Only if you got an IGP (integrated graphic processor) on your motherboard. You don't need a graphic card if you don't plan to play the latest games.
December 8, 2009 11:06:21 AM

You will need a graphics card or an onboard graphics chip in the unit. If this to be a server you will have to set it up and configure it accordingly and I do not believe that this can be done unless you use remote administration which also has to be set up as well. How do you expect to put any server software and security in it and and perform the configurations and maintenance on this system? After you set it up you may not need a display as it can be remotely administered but on a home or small business system I would not recommend it as it take a higher degree of network skills and abilities than most users have to maintain the system.
December 8, 2009 12:18:50 PM

If ur motherboard has an onboard graphic card u can. If not u will have to connect a separate Graphic card.

And anyway how can u run a web server without seeing stuff on a display.

So u cannot even boot ur computer without a graphic card.
December 8, 2009 5:10:48 PM

Without any type of video present, the POST will fail when no video is detected.

Pick up the absolute cheapest card just so you set up your system.

Find something used on e-bay if you have to.

Oh yeah, you know if you have integrated video if the available MB connectors include a VGA or DVI jack.
December 8, 2009 5:25:27 PM

I've got an old, working PCI video card I could sell ya real cheap.

Via e-bay. $8.00 or less. US shipping only.... let me know if yer interested.
July 10, 2012 8:22:02 AM

Checking for Video card is part of the POST (Power On Self Test) program.

The processor with the help of the POST+BIOS programs checks for the graphics adapter at a defined IO space. If it fails to find a graphics card, the POST fails to complete and may shut down the PC a few seconds latter.

My two cents!!!
-Sinu Chacko
August 26, 2014 8:10:04 AM

If your BIOS allows a setting like "Ignore all POST errors" then you can enable that and boot without any video susbsystem.
!