Coolermaster v8 Fan control knob

mikemurdock

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Hey all.

I just installed the coolermaster v8 into my system and was wondering how exactly to install the knob.
The fan has a wire with 2 connectors coming out of it that you attach to the knob, and the knob has 3 connections.

Which of the 3 do I plug it into? On my first try, the fan didnt work. The second config I tried has the fan working, but the knob is "backwards" (ie turning it High makes the rpm go down, and vice versa).

The other question I have, is the fan does not seem to be automated by my mobo at all.
I set it up in the bios for when temp < 30 go to 50%, but this doesnt work. The fan speed is always what the knob is set up.

Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

btw, its an evga x58 mobo, and I havent attempted to DL any drivers for it.

mikemurdock

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I have the 3-Pin plugged into my mobo, this is just the knob that Im talking about.

sdc10136medium.jpg

Ok this is what Im talking about. Those are the two wires that Im holding, and they plug into two of the three connectors you see to the left. I plug them into the top two, everything seems to work, I just need to know if this is correct.

If it is correct, the next thing I need to know is how to get the fan speed to adjust automatically?

Heres a pic of the case in case youre interested:

sdc10138medium.jpg

I know the wires are a mess, I havent had time/dont have the tools to tuck them away nicely

Lutfij

Titan
first off look at the connectors of ur cooler, one is a 4 pin connector that goes into ur mobo, the other 2 pin u have goes to the konb - and then attaches itself to the fan.

V8_feature.jpg

24_thumb.jpg

if i can understand what ur saying - then ur fan IS pwm cntorlled which means that it'll speed up or down depending on the temp and at the same time is vrm (i think thas wat its called) controlled, which means the fan is also controlled by the knob.

as long as ur 4 pin is connected into the mobo then u have nothing to worry. and yeah the 2 pins are properly connected.

BTW - if ur fan speed is always high, then u should look at your cable clutter for the answer - improper airflow - and i also noticed you have the PSU fan facing up, is it possible to flip the fan down? cos i read in toms forum that u get different CPU temps with the PSU placement (when the module is down)

:sweat: wow, tha was long! :na:

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Right, I see what you're saying.

Firstly, I didn't know the V8 was PWM. So, it's actually a 4-pin connector you have to plug into the motherboard, not a 3-pin. If your motherboard supports PWM (and it should do) then plug the V8 4-pin plug into CPU fan motherboard header and enable smart fan control in the BIOS (could be called anything - look it up in your motherboard manual). The motherboard will now vary fan speed based on requirements.

As far as the knob goes, if you're using PWM why bother with the control knob? Personally I wouldn't use it at all. As far as I'm aware you're not supposed to be able to take the wires off the knob so it's possibly broken. As a result, I have no idea which of the 3 pins you're supposed to use.

Double-check your V8 manual - if the wires are supposed to come off then it will tell you in the manual which pins to attach to. If not, contact Coolermaster and ask them.

And a word of advice too: the V8 is really not very good at cooling the i7 series. If it turns out your V8's knob is actually broken then don't RMA it, get a refund and replace it with something better like a Prolimatech Megahalems or Thermalright Ultra-120 Rev C (and they both have black versions if you want the look).

mikemurdock

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

So I took out the mobo, flipped the cooler around (I was told to install it upside down, but after I held a piece a paper up to each fan I found it needed to go the other way).

Lutfij: the PS fan actually sucks down, but I did take the time to move my wires around for the airflow. This wasnt the problem, but my temps did drop about 2-3. Im not sure if this is because of the wires, or because the cooler is actually push/pulling the correct way now.

Honestly I just dont care about getting it automatic now. When I have the fan on lowest speed it keeps it plenty cool. I have Dummy OC on which puts it to about 3.2ghz and the highest temp I got on Prime95 was about 68 on the CPU and 78ish for the cores (with fan speed on low).

The only question I really have left is, since I took the cooler off the CPU and then put it back on, do I need to apply new thermal paste? The paste hadnt hardened completely yet, and the temperatures are lower than before so I think Im good, but I really know nothing about paste =[

Lutfij

Titan

jacrabby

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011

hi,

try go into bios and disable default cpu fan control. then e v8 controller fan will work. works for me

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Your first pic for wiring the control knob is middle and top pins. Don't know what the third pin is for, maybe a second ground. The speed setting will work with the mobo speed controller, or software controllers. Max speed will be determined by the "dial" setting. The dial is basically a rheostat that limits voltage. I leave mine all of the way up.