Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I5 750 Processor embedded

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 17, 2010 6:19:12 AM

what is being referred to when they say that the i5 750 is "embedded"?
is this an instruction set that is contained within the chip to compensate for the loss of the QPI ?

someone suggested that an embedded cpu was soldered onto the MB and could not thereafter be upgraded ?

I would appreciate any help in clarifying the use of this term.

thanks

John

More about : 750 processor embedded

a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 6:31:22 AM

Embedded processors simply means the processors used in the mp3 player, mobile phone and tv...etc.

i5-750 is not an embedded processor.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 6:32:20 AM

you'd have to use it in context.

maybe someone else knows the exact meaning of the term, but without knowing the context in which is was used i can't say.

maybe it was 'embedded' in someones face after a nasty explosion?
:p 

EDIT: oh, nevermind. i was a bit late.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 2:57:37 PM

usually it means "sewn" into the motherboard for example a G31 chipset.

but in CPU terms, it means that the memory controller and graphics can be imbedded into the CPU, not sewn in but built into the chip die itself rather than being "sewn" in to the motherboard.

hope that it's more clear now and didn't confuse you.
February 18, 2010 6:03:03 AM

higgsome said:
what is being referred to when they say that the i5 750 is "embedded"?
is this an instruction set that is contained within the chip to compensate for the loss of the QPI ?

someone suggested that an embedded cpu was soldered onto the MB and could not thereafter be upgraded ?

I would appreciate any help in clarifying the use of this term.

thanks

John



the context from which I found the term "embedded" is from the intel website that shows a table comparing the i5 family of cpu's
http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=42...

some of the processors are embedded and some are not
similarly, with the i7 family, some are embedded and some are not
see http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=43...

what does "embedded" in this context mean?

thanks for your suggestions and explanations

cheers
john
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2010 1:08:03 PM

Basically, the context is the platform, meaning these type of cpus will go into small gadgets, could be palmtop, notebooks, laptops, not the desktop platform that the typical Newegg component buyers usually work with. in other words, i don't see these cpus as those that the home user can upgrade other maybe a barebone DIY mini ITX kit.


Or, Intel could just be using it a buzzword to help the users, guiding the user to compatible "embedded" boards.

You're probably more confused now. Go on Newegg and search Newegg's sire for embedded PC and embedded motherboars and you'll have a clear idea of imbedded products.




February 19, 2010 12:15:40 AM

thanks
interesting site and name newegg

I wonder if the embedded part relates to the connectors built in to the cpu rather than the cpu being embedded into a motherboard or electronic apparatus???

cheers
john
February 20, 2010 12:21:21 AM

I thought it meant the chip wasn't removable from the motherboard. I have yet to open an i3-330 laptop and see for myself. Since I like upgrading CPU's in a PC's later years, I'll probably not buy a laptop with an i3-330 or i5-520 (both embedded) just to be safe.
February 26, 2010 3:59:54 PM

mnw615 said:
I thought it meant the chip wasn't removable from the motherboard. I have yet to open an i3-330 laptop and see for myself. Since I like upgrading CPU's in a PC's later years, I'll probably not buy a laptop with an i3-330 or i5-520 (both embedded) just to be safe.


A little unlikely that a 1156 Desktop CPU that does not come with a Motherbaord is "Embedded" Like that. :sarcastic: 

So what is the Answer then people.. What sets a I5 750 apart from the "Non Embedded" I5 CPU lineup.
March 13, 2010 7:28:14 PM

higgsome said:
the context from which I found the term "embedded" is from the intel website that shows a table comparing the i5 family of cpu's
http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=42...

some of the processors are embedded and some are not
similarly, with the i7 family, some are embedded and some are not
see http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=43...

what does "embedded" in this context mean?

thanks for your suggestions and explanations

cheers
john


The term "embedded" in the above links from Intel means if you wish to purchase a processor which needs to be embedded into the motherboard, then its available with intel. It can come in various forms, maybe embedded cpu with motherboards, thin clients, custom business requirment etc
June 3, 2010 8:51:10 AM

Looks like nobody ask Intel about this positioning. :pt1cable: 

embedded in this context means that these CPUs will be available for embedded livecycles of min. 5 Years unlike Desktop and Notebook CPUs with a livetime down to 6 month. it has nothing todo with the form of delivery. That is up to your purchasing or design requirement, CPU only (socketed or soldered), ITX Board, std PC Motherboard, custom design,.......

Over and above that there are specific sites focused on embedded ala tools, reference designs, app notes,.....
have a look at
http://www.intel.com/embedded/index.htm


exintel
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2010 12:38:56 PM

wrudolph said:
Looks like nobody ask Intel about this positioning. :pt1cable: 

embedded in this context means that these CPUs will be available for embedded livecycles of min. 5 Years unlike Desktop and Notebook CPUs with a livetime down to 6 month. it has nothing todo with the form of delivery. That is up to your purchasing or design requirement, CPU only (socketed or soldered), ITX Board, std PC Motherboard, custom design,.......

Over and above that there are specific sites focused on embedded ala tools, reference designs, app notes,.....
have a look at
http://www.intel.com/embedded/index.htm


exintel


i think your kinda late to the party. :whistle: 
!