Sign in with
Your question

How do I use a Lacie Rugged Hard Drive??

Last response: in Storage
November 10, 2011 1:50:25 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to use a Lacie external hard drive for the first time, and I am so clueless! I'm not much of a computer person, I got the hard drive because I just started filming home videos of my family, and want the extra storage. My friend said she would edit it together for me later, she likes projects like that.

So right now, I have a macbook air, processor: 1.7 ghz intel core i5, Memory: 4gb, and the rugged is a 1 TB.

I hooked up the usb cable, it said something about formatting for my mac, then it installed integro backup assistant, took forever to download what ever that was, now I have a folder on my desktop that says Lacie, with 4 folders in it. When I tried to copy some of my videos over to any of the folders, it says: The item "mov 2" cannot be copied because there isn't enough space.

What?? Where do I copy stuff? How? The hard drive is plugged in. The 4 folders say "Private-Public" "Rugged combo usb2" "Wuala" and "Intego Baclup Assistant."

Any help would be appreciated!!!! We can Skype/facebook/yahoo/or gmail chat!
a c 415 G Storage
November 10, 2011 2:26:38 PM

I know nothing about Macs. But if it was a PC I'd suspect that the drive was formatted using the FAT file system. You can't put a file larger than 4GB on to a FAT drive, and if you try you'll get the message you described.

If it was a Windows system, I'd recommend reformatting the drive as NTFS. But for a Mac I have no clue.
a b G Storage
November 11, 2011 12:44:28 PM

I would start by reformatting it as sminlal mentioned.

THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE.

Which is probably fine since it sounds like you haven't been able to put anything on the disk, just wanted to mention that.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3509

Use those instructions if you are only going to use it on a Mac then use the same formatting they mention in that help doc. Depending on if you are running Lion or Snow Leopard the drive should just appear on your desktop, or you will need to browse to Computer and look for it there if you are running Lion. You can just copy files to it normally once you get it formatted properly. I would not bother trying to use the programs that you said installed with it.
!