Processor Install help??

larzinj

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Hi,
I tried to upgrade my processor with a 3gz intel. 512/800 but whenever I boot and go into windows I get a memory dum blue screen error. and the unit freezes.
- tried to reapply the thermal comp- doesnt work..

my mboard is a vi7 800, with 2gb ddr ram and a 256 nvidia graphics driver.

can someone tell me the issue and how do i rectify it?
thanks

p55ibexpeak

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Power the pc up, tap a key printed on screen for BIOS/SETUP, load bios default, save & exit. If that doesn't work or non-existant:

unplug power cord
press case power button for 10 secs
remove the battery from the mobo for 1 hour
hook it back up

larzinj

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Thanks for the tip!

Now the Pc gets into windows ,but only shows up as a 1.4ghz processor whereas I have the Northwood 3Ghz/512/800 .
I have bios 1.8 installed on the Pt800 Vi7.
Is there any way I can get this to show to full capacity??

let ,me know
thanks

sheath

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Your processor may just be tuning itself down to save power. Try running a program like CPU-Z and then try something intensive like video encoding and see if it ramps up to what its specified as.

larzinj

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Hi ,
So you mean to say that it may show up as 1.5ghz but when I run more cpu intensive programs ,I will get the full extent of the processor...??

sheath

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Possible, i was just guessing from common reasons that CPU's show less than their max when your not doing anything. Also its pretty easy to test if thats what happening. Others may have more knowledgeable reasons though.

larzinj

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I did Download CPU-Z and it shows as 1.5 GHZ
Do I have cooling issues, how do I bump up this to 3ghz, this is worse than the previous processor I had which was 2.5GHZ.

larzinj

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

sorry , its shows up as system properties as 1.5GHZ but lists the 3ghz. in Bios it shows up as a 1.5ghz processor.. sorry the 1.4 was a typo.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
They want you to run a CPU heavy task and see if the CPU-Z number bumps up. Then it's only showing as that low because of power saving stuff.

CPU's run at a slower rate than their maximum in order to expend less power and heat. When they need more they run higher than that.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
By issues I mean unfixable bluescreens and crashes. I could have gotten it stable by disabling one of the cores, but that defeated the point, so I got one that would support it.

Maybe they wouldn't test every exact one, but when it clearly just says single cores those are quite different. It's also not like there are that many different CPU's per socket. (besides AMD's AM2+ stuff they're doing now).

larzinj

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Actully this could be it, I keep getting the blue screen errors and the dumps etc whenever I do get into windows that is.. also I can t even install any ohter card besides the display card.
Could there be cooling issues related to this ?. I saw some where that some heatsinks and fans for the 478s only suport upt 2.8ghz... What if I replaced the fan with a more powerfull one would that help? I dont want to get into thsi as I coul dbe better off replacing the Mobo and going in for say a 775 instead??

any final takers for thsi issue ... cant seem to get a solution on this...
let me know

thanks

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Well I've told you everything I can think of. However if you're thinking about just upgrading rather than dealing with this, I'd recommend a AM3 motherboard. DDR2 RAM has shot up in price so might as well go DDR3 instead since the only ram you;ve got is DDR1 (which is still going for a good bit on ebay, maybe you should part out your stuff since it worked fine with the other CPU)

Not only that but socket 775 is on the way out so that might not be the best move. Socket AM3 will be around for awhile (relatively) and AMD has plenty of cheap CPU's.

larzinj

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Well I d love to deal with this issue and try and fix this, I can still try and upgrade this once I have extinguished all my resources in troubleshooting this issue. there has to be a solution dont you think??

larzinj

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
OK So I replaced the MOBO now with a MSI 1996 and tried the processor. but I still get the same stupid blue screen.
am I doing something wrong out here????
there is nothing wrong with moBO I am thinking its to do with the processor

larzinj

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Ok Guys!! I think I finally figured this out ..or did I??
Well all along I was using my old HDD to boot up the PC first with the new processor and then with the new mobo. So I decided to take try out a brand new hdd just to see if that helped.( i was trying to install win7) and voila !every thing worked out well.

the Processor should up as 3.08 ( i overclocked this on the MSI mobo) and no errors.
but when I tried to overclock this to a more higher FSB , I finally ...got the BSOD.
I reset the cmos and decided to stop screwing around.. but upon goign into windows again... the previouosly used 2.5GB Ram that I was using kept showing up as 1.5 GB
thats 2 slots of 1gb DDR and 1 slot of 512...
what could be the issue here...
note: all my RAM is uniform ddr400..