Translator unhappy with system performance

bjornarmag

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Dear Forum members

My system consists of following components (please let me know if I have forgotten anything important):

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

Main board: P35-DS3L
CPU: 2,85 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (OC to 3,4 ghz)
BIOS: F9 06/19/2009
Memory: 4 GB DDR-2 (5-5-5-15)

Storage: OCZ SUMMIT 120 GB & Velociraptor 150 GB

Graphics: Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series, 2x22" screens

I am unhappy with the performance in two situations:

1. Two quite large (250 pages, 5 MB) Word documents with tracked changes are open simultaneously.

2. Using new CAT (Computer-Assisted Translation) technology (i.e. Trados Studio 2009) and working with big (150 MB, 100 000 segments) translation memories. (The CAT tool is comparing the sentence I am currently translating with sentences in the translation memory).

Could any of you recommend some upgrades in the $ 1000-2000 range that are likely to make an impact on the performance?

Best regards,

Bjornar

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Im no expert but you could try getting more RAM, maybe that is slowing you down (although Im not sure if it would help, but another 4Gb could help and it would be a cheap solution)

With a budget of 1-2000 dollars though you could just get a nice 1366 motherboard, an i7 940 or suchlike (or a 975 if you feeling very rich) and 6Gb of Tri Channel DDR3. That would probably give a perfornace increase over your Q9550, but im not sure how much. You could then sell your old parts to cover the cost or whatever ;)

bjornarmag

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Thanks for taking your time to answer, Ricky. I earlier contacted the folks behind the CAT-tool regarding need for RAM. They told me that it was no point since...

"...under normal circumstances a standard process running on 32 bit Windows can access a maximum of 2Gb of virtual address space (which at any point in time may either be contained in physical RAM , ‘swapped’ onto the hard drive or a combination of both). Individual processes on 64 bit Windows can *still only have a maximum of 2Gb* of virtual address space but the difference is that the operating system can cope with a lot more"

...but I know there are a lot of dividing opinions on this matter.

I am considering a CPU upgrade, but not sure how much impact a Q9550 to i7 940 upgrade will have in my particular situation.

qbit

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Well upgrading to an i7 would give you more performance but im not entirely sure you would notice it as the processor you have now is still pretty fast. You could always do a test, overclock the processor and if you get a noticeable difference it could warrant upgrading to an I7 (or you could be happy with your new performance).

I'm not entirely sure on the workings of the software but it sounds like an SSD could speed up your system with your line of work.

bjornarmag

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

As written above, I am already running OC to 3,4 ghz. I am unable to overclock higher with the current components. The difference from 2,8 to 3,4 Ghz is hardly noticeable.

Also, I have already have a SSD: OCZ SUMMIT 120 GB

qbit

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

obviously too early in the morning for me...

The only other (possible) bottleneck is between the ram and processor. If there is a noticeable difference between running your ram at 800mhz and 1066 (most sets should be able to do this while keeping the timings tight) then you might benefit from an i7 upgrade. Otherwise your just going to have to live with it.