GTX 260 core 216 for SLI or a other HD card?

Validatorian

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I recently purchased a 32" 1080p 120Hz HDTV to use as both a third monitor (gaming, mostly) and for watching HD content (tv, movies). I need help deciding what video card I should be using for this new "monitor"

I already have a GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition, which has two DVI connections. I'm wondering if I should get another of the same for an SLI, and just use a DVI->HDMI connector for the TV, or should I get a card that has the HDMI port already? Is the card I currently have suited for HD content?

Solution

How many screens do you want to run at a time? If you will be using 2 monitors then a single GTX 260 is more than enough, if you want 3 screens the you will need a 5 series card from AMD/ATI...

DVI and HDMI output the...

How many screens do you want to run at a time? If you will be using 2 monitors then a single GTX 260 is more than enough, if you want 3 screens the you will need a 5 series card from AMD/ATI...

DVI and HDMI output the exact same image quality, not sure why these dudes are saying that HDMI is better, the only difference is that you cannot transmit sound through DVI, you will need to connect the S/PDIF cable from the card to the motherboard to get sound if you decide on using the DVI to HDMI adapter.

Solution

Validatorian

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

Ah, I was thinking SLI = 4 monitors, must have missed that in the SLI FAQ. I'm going to put in my 7800GTX for one of my 23" monitors, and run the 32" and other 23" from the GTX 260.

Thanks OvrClkr