9800 GX2 Freezing problem

camnipotent

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
Hello,

I have a EVGA 9800 GX2 and have had no problems with it until last night. I play Left 4 Dead 2, MW2, Dragon Age, etc. at full settings. When I was in a L4D2 match, my screen froze and the audio cycled. I had to do a hard restart. When I rejoined the game, it played fine for about 20 seconds and then froze again. I restarted and restarted and it kept doing the same thing. I tried MW2 and Dragon Age and the same thing happened. I thought it might be Steam, so I launched FarCry2 (non-Steam game) and it also froze. I also forgot to mention that it will also eventually freeze when I'm on my desktop without a game running. It's guaranteed to freeze when I'm in a game, though. I don't seem to be getting error messages or anything. I looked online and did the DriverSweeper routine (the whole process including registry editing) and reinstalled the latest drivers. Same problem.

I used EVGAPrecision and I can hear the fan start up and change speeds at my whim, so the card doesn't seem to be overheating.

Is my card going out? I've never had a card quit on me, so I don't know if the 'system freeze' thing is a symptom or not. Is it normal that a card that's dying would freeze the system and loop the audio?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Cam

Zacharia

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I'm having the same exact issue, although temperatures seem to be fine, ranging mid 80s at maximum load.

Funny thing is, I've already gone through two of the same cards through EVGA's RMA program, and they keeping telling me the cards pass their performance test.

I think what we're dealing with is some kind of driver issue.

Edit: Just read your message haha. It's been working for about a month now on Windows 7, no problems. The card just started crashing yesterday.

Discosaurus

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I've been having this same problem with L4D and L4D2. I'm running a 9800GT on Windows 7 64bit.
Game is fine for 45 seconds, then freezes, with audio looping. It will sometimes restore if I alt+tab. Temperatures hit ~61C under max load- this is definitely not warm enough to merit hardware issues. Whether or not it is a hardware problem is a different matter.

I've been having this problem for a few months now, I hope someone can figure it out before I burst a vein.