Connecting fans to my motherboard

nightshift23

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Hey guys, have a few questions about fans. I am going to be doing a build pretty soon, but I haven't ordered anything yet so I can change this around if need be.

I am getting one of the newer Z77 ASUS boards, and I would really like to take advantage of the Fan Expert 2 that comes built in. The issue is the case I plan on getting has fans with molex power connectors, which unless I'm just a complete tool I don't think I can plug directly into the motherboard. My question is whats the best way to solve this? I don't seem to be able to find adapters, and I don't know if my technical ability is up to converting the molex to 4 pin connectors. It seems like my only option is likely to be buying separate fans....which may put me back in the case hunt.

Any help would be appreciated.

One similar side question, I plan on getting a Hyper 212 CPU cooler, and I know it will require me to remove the side fan in this case. Most people in reviews just added it to their Hyper 212 for push pull, will i need to get a split for this or will one come with the 212?

Motherboard : ASUS P8Z77-V LGA
Case : Rosewill Blackhawk

Solution
Yep, just use the adapter. If you REALLY wanted to you could cut and solder the 3 pin connector on, but the adapter is the safe way to go.

I know that most Antec Cases right now are including 3 pin headers on their fans to plug into motherboards. Maybe you look at one of those?

Also, you don't have to use the Asus software, you can configure all the profiles in the BIOS and let them run. FYI.

Good luck.

Good day.

I said good day.

dannoddd

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Yep, just use the adapter. If you REALLY wanted to you could cut and solder the 3 pin connector on, but the adapter is the safe way to go.

I know that most Antec Cases right now are including 3 pin headers on their fans to plug into motherboards. Maybe you look at one of those?

Also, you don't have to use the Asus software, you can configure all the profiles in the BIOS and let them run. FYI.

Good luck.

Good day.

I said good day.

Solution