How do I organize case fans?

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
Hi all, I have a HAF 912 with an i7-2600k (currently not OC'd) running on a CM and no current GPU (I'm debating between a 7850 and the nvidia equivalent whenever it releases).

This is my current layout:

Top (exhaust) - CM Megaflow 200m
Side (intake) - Cooler Master 120mm Case Fan - (R4-C2R-20AC-GP) [this is the loudest thing in my case for some reason!)
Front (intake (I think, I mean, it has to be, right?)) - Preinstalled HAF 912 case fan
Back (exhaust, right?) - Presintalled HAF 912 case fan

I have one fan coming in, it's a Artic Cooling ARCTIC F12 Computer Case Cooling AFACO-12000-GBA01 and I think it will fit in the front.

I do not have a optical drive or a HDD, so that area of my case is completely open. I should be able to fit a fan there, right? I was reading the manual from the HAF 912 and it seems that I can have two fans in the front. Also, how do I measure temperatures in the case? Do I need to buy something?

Now, my question is: how do I install the front case fan (exhast or intake) and would having the mobo and all the pieces currently installed pose a problem for me to insert the front fan?

I reviewed http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-heatsink,3053-5.html and it seems as if so far that third picture most accurately represents my build, save for the side fan that I have installed and the new second fan that i'll have in the front.

As a general guide, front side and bottom are intake rear and top exhaust, you have it just fine atm,
and yes to modding an intake fan into the optical area, I did that myself,
you can measure temps using coretemp or similar free programs, or buy sensors to place wherever you see fit,, but they will take up at least one of your drivebays
Moto

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012

What exactly did you mean by mod the optical bay? How would I go about doing that? Do I need to be drilling holes somewhere? I don't think I have the proper tools to do that.

depending on how your case is, you could just tape/cable tie a fan in the drive cage at the front, I cut out the fascia covers and set my fan into that,
IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

If you don't have a dremel/angle grinder, then just tie the fan in place at the front so it blows towards the mobo,
Moto

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
Ah, I think i'm going to go with the simplest route you mentioned with the cable ties. I know I have some zip ties around that I could probably tighten pretty well. Would that be sufficient to not have any knocking/vibrating?