Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Heatsink or 2 case fans?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 27, 2012 12:07:50 PM

So I have an I5 3570k that I just recently built my computer around in a HAF 912. I have two stock fans, one in front and one in back. I ran a simple test using realtemp and my temps were in the 30s which seemed normal. Not too knowledgable on the subject however. I do not plan to overclock anytime soon but it is a possibility in the future. Basically I would love some input on what would be best for overall longevity of my parts as well as keeping my pc running well for quite a while. I could get a cpu cooler for about 30$ or I can get 2 200mm megaflow fans for the front and top of the case. Any input is appreciated and Ill answer any questions that I possibly can to help with answers.

More about : cpu heatsink case fans

a c 190 K Overclocking
May 27, 2012 12:10:44 PM

I'd look at upgrading the cooler first, you can always pick up some cheap fans to add airflow later, but improving the Hs is going to have more effect at this point
*Edit for spellfail
Moto
m
l
May 28, 2012 12:12:16 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
I'd look at upgrading the cooler first, you can always pick up some cheap fans to add airflow later, but improving the Hs is going to have more effect at this point
*Edit for spellfail
Moto

So with the hyper 212 and just the two fans do you think my temps will be alright? I looked at the bios and saw my temps at 42c just idling and I am not sure if this is high or not. Again any help is appreciated. I am aiming to get the most life out of this CPU as possible
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 28, 2012 12:17:08 AM

It will have a better effect than the casefans, but I would still add those when you can afford to
Moto
m
l
May 28, 2012 12:28:46 AM

Alright I'm thinking I'll definitely grab the hyper 212. Also any opinion on te 42c idle temps. I was getting the reading from the bios so I'm not sure how accurate it is. Using real temp it was showing around 30-40c but again I'm new to all this. Just build the computer 5 days ago.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 28, 2012 12:43:17 AM

Those temperatures aren't IDLE temps. Your cpu doesn't start idling until it goes into windows.
m
l
May 28, 2012 1:00:18 AM

Alright so if that's the case do my temps look fine? When I booted up real temp like I said they were between 30-40c which seems reasonable.
m
l

Best solution

a c 190 K Overclocking
May 28, 2012 3:22:53 AM

Depending on your room temperature yes, those are acceptable idle temps, once windows has loaded and settles down,
But theres nothing to lose by adding more cooling power, with the right balance you can have good temps at a reasonable noise level
Moto
June 4, 2012 12:09:36 AM

Best answer selected by mbossi19.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 9:10:13 AM

Thank you for B.a., glad to help :) 
Moto
m
l
!