Sign in with
Your question

Compaq presario motherboard question

Last response: in Motherboards
June 21, 2010 3:52:35 PM

apparently themotherboard has died on my compaq presario sr1950nx, no problem finding a usedmotherboard on eaby, but hp tells me the tatoo wont match and my oemwindows version wontrun, I also have a full disk imagewith acronis but I assume the tatoo willmuch itup too, is there a way around this? is the tatoo contained in the bios or what?
really frustrated by this tatoo issue, its brought motherboard replacement to a crashing halt for me

Thanks

a c 435 V Motherboard
June 21, 2010 11:17:34 PM

If you get the identical replacement board, it should work. Hp just wants to sell you a new board or system. Hope you made backup disks of your hp windows installation just in case. I still have mine, even though I sold the board.
m
l
June 21, 2010 11:49:27 PM

o1die said:
If you get the identical replacement board, it should work. Hp just wants to sell you a new board or system. Hope you made backup disks of your hp windows installation just in case. I still have mine, even though I sold the board.

heres the story recovery partition is still intact,madev cvthe recovery disc when new,I have no reason to belive there is anything wrong with the hard drive,

acronis true image made a full image of the hard drive to my external drive

hp tells me that my oem version of windows died with the motherboard,

they also do not sell this motherbaord anymore even tho the computer is only 31/2 years old, since its an asus board made for hp, asus wont help with it and say talk to hp

i have been told so many different stories, some say the acronis image wont care about the tatoo, only the restore disc do, and others say it wont work

as for the motherboard, its an asus a8n-la aks nagami2-gl8e, i belive only hp and emachines used this board

lots of this board on ebay

from my motherboard heres the info
m981q7
2.00 801
hp pn 5188-5067
c65s184-00510

i have found one on ebay that gives the part as hp 5188-5067, is this not the exact same board? and should work flawlessly

Thanks

m
l
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
June 22, 2010 11:27:35 AM

If the price is right, it's worth the gamble. I still don't see why hp insists your operating system won't work with the same replacement board. They're replacement boards will have the same issue, and cost a fortune. Such a ripoff.
m
l
June 22, 2010 12:06:45 PM

o1die said:
If the price is right, it's worth the gamble. I still don't see why hp insists your operating system won't work with the same replacement board. They're replacement boards will have the same issue, and cost a fortune. Such a ripoff.

hp says the oem windows license is married to the tatoo of the motherboard, and if the motherboard dies then the oem windows licence dies with it, and that my restore disc and hd image suffer the same fate,

it is so hard to get a definitive answer from anyone

it still blows my mind why a replacemnt board cant be tatooed with the same code and avaoid all this chaos

m
l
!