Swapping WinXP HDDs on Identical Laptops

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2004 5:28:07 AM

I have 2 identical TP240x laptops. Their serial numbers are only 42
numbers apart. They both have the latest BIOS updates.

I want to swap HDDs between these TPs. One has WinXP Pro installed and the
other Win98SE.

Can I do this without messing up WinXP and requiring a reinstall or a call
to Microsoft?

I've done a lot of searching on the web about this but haven't found a
good answer.
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
July 1, 2004 6:30:30 PM

"* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote in message
> I have 2 identical TP240x laptops. Their serial numbers are only 42
> numbers apart. They both have the latest BIOS updates.
>
> I want to swap HDDs between these TPs. One has WinXP Pro installed and the
> other Win98SE.
>
> Can I do this without messing up WinXP and requiring a reinstall or a call
> to Microsoft?
>
> I've done a lot of searching on the web about this but haven't found a
> good answer.
> --
> Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)

Good question. I dunno. I would guess "yes" but am not sure. Microsoft
has mentioned several factors that are part of their protection scheme --
among them HDD identity and network card identity. That is "two strikes"
against, although they provide additional leniency for laptops (anticipating
docking station changes, etc.)

You might want to go ahead and try (but why in the world would you want to
swap HDDs among identical laptops?) And if it doesn't work -- call
Microsoft and get them to re-authorize. If what you are trying to do is
legit, then they should do so.

- Skip
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2004 6:30:31 PM

"Skip" <reply@newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message
> "* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote in message
> > I have 2 identical TP240x laptops. Their serial numbers are only 42
> > numbers apart. They both have the latest BIOS updates.
> >
> > I want to swap HDDs between these TPs. One has WinXP Pro installed and
the
> > other Win98SE.
> >
> > Can I do this without messing up WinXP and requiring a reinstall or a
call
> > to Microsoft?
> >
> > I've done a lot of searching on the web about this but haven't found a
> > good answer.
> > --
> > Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
>
> Good question. I dunno. I would guess "yes" but am not sure.
Microsoft
> has mentioned several factors that are part of their protection
scheme --
> among them HDD identity and network card identity. That is "two
strikes"
> against, although they provide additional leniency for laptops
(anticipating
> docking station changes, etc.)
>
> You might want to go ahead and try (but why in the world would you want
> swap HDDs among identical laptops?) And if it doesn't work -- call
> Microsoft and get them to re-authorize. If what you are trying to do is
> legit, then they should do so.
>
> - Skip

It works on my TPs, I just tried it.

I got several messages for the folks over at the thinkpads.com forum
saying that it can be done.

I have a minor video glitch on one of the TPs and I wanted to see it was a
hardware or software
problem ( it's software).
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2004 7:34:23 PM

Skip wrote:
> "* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have 2 identical TP240x laptops. Their serial numbers are only 42
>>numbers apart. They both have the latest BIOS updates.
>>
>>I want to swap HDDs between these TPs. One has WinXP Pro installed and the
>>other Win98SE.
>>
>>Can I do this without messing up WinXP and requiring a reinstall or a call
>>to Microsoft?
>>
>>I've done a lot of searching on the web about this but haven't found a
>>good answer.
>>--
>>Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
>

> Good question. I dunno. I would guess "yes" but am not sure. Microsoft
> has mentioned several factors that are part of their protection scheme --
> among them HDD identity and network card identity. That is "two strikes"
> against, although they provide additional leniency for laptops (anticipating
> docking station changes, etc.)
>
> You might want to go ahead and try (but why in the world would you want to
> swap HDDs among identical laptops?) And if it doesn't work -- call
> Microsoft and get them to re-authorize. If what you are trying to do is
> legit, then they should do so.
>
> - Skip

Are you not in fact asking whether you can use the same XP Pro on those
two laptops? ... I do not see how it could hurt to try anyway.

--
John Doue
Anonymous

"John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Skip wrote:
> > "* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I have 2 identical TP240x laptops. Their serial numbers are only 42
> >>numbers apart. They both have the latest BIOS updates.
> >>
> >>I want to swap HDDs between these TPs. One has WinXP Pro installed and
the
> >>other Win98SE.
> >>
> >>Can I do this without messing up WinXP and requiring a reinstall or a
call
> >>to Microsoft?
> >>
> >>I've done a lot of searching on the web about this but haven't found a
> >>good answer.
> >>--
> >>Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
> >

> > Good question. I dunno. I would guess "yes" but am not sure.
Microsoft
> > has mentioned several factors that are part of their protection
scheme --
> > among them HDD identity and network card identity. That is "two
strikes"
> > against, although they provide additional leniency for laptops
(anticipating
> > docking station changes, etc.)
> >
> > You might want to go ahead and try (but why in the world would you
want to
> > swap HDDs among identical laptops?) And if it doesn't work -- call
> > Microsoft and get them to re-authorize. If what you are trying to do
is
> > legit, then they should do so.
> >
> > - Skip
> >

> Are you not in fact asking whether you can use the same XP Pro on those
> two laptops? ... I do not see how it could hurt to try anyway.

No, I don't want to bootleg XP, I just wanted to troubleshoot a minor
video problem. Turns out that it's software based because it shows up on
both TPs in Win98SE but not XP.
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2004 9:23:51 PM

> I have 2 identical TP240x laptops. Their serial numbers are only
> 42 numbers apart. They both have the latest BIOS updates.
>
> I want to swap HDDs between these TPs. One has WinXP Pro
> installed and the other Win98SE.
>
> Can I do this without messing up WinXP and requiring a reinstall
> or a call to Microsoft?

Yes, it's no problem at all. I do it all the time.

Even if you have a version of XP that uses Windows Product Activation, it
doesn't trigger activation to move the hard drive to another machine of the
same model. If the two machines have enough different components (e.g.
different amount of memory, type of network card, etc.) then it could
trigger activation, but it would be pretty rare.

You didn't mention, but if you are talking about an IBM preinstall of XP,
it's even simpler. The preinstalled XP does not use Product Activation at
all. Instead, it is BIOS locked to the IBM BIOS, and it will work on any
machine of the same model regardless of other hardware.

-Mike
July 2, 2004 2:37:56 AM

Answer to both questions is YES. No problems, I have done it several times
and if you want to bootleg then that's fine too.

> "Skip" <reply@newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message
> > "* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote in message
> > > I have 2 identical TP240x laptops. Their serial numbers are only 42
> > > numbers apart. They both have the latest BIOS updates.
> > >
> > > I want to swap HDDs between these TPs. One has WinXP Pro installed and
> the
> > > other Win98SE.
> > >
> > > Can I do this without messing up WinXP and requiring a reinstall or a
> call
> > > to Microsoft?
> > >
> > > I've done a lot of searching on the web about this but haven't found a
> > > good answer.
> > > --
> > > Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
> >
> > Good question. I dunno. I would guess "yes" but am not sure.
> Microsoft
> > has mentioned several factors that are part of their protection
> scheme --
> > among them HDD identity and network card identity. That is "two
> strikes"
> > against, although they provide additional leniency for laptops
> (anticipating
> > docking station changes, etc.)
> >
> > You might want to go ahead and try (but why in the world would you want
> > swap HDDs among identical laptops?) And if it doesn't work -- call
> > Microsoft and get them to re-authorize. If what you are trying to do is
> > legit, then they should do so.
> >
> > - Skip
>
> It works on my TPs, I just tried it.
>
> I got several messages for the folks over at the thinkpads.com forum
> saying that it can be done.
>
> I have a minor video glitch on one of the TPs and I wanted to see it was a
> hardware or software
> problem ( it's software).

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2004 3:12:33 AM

You should be able to do this. The only difference that the OS will see
will be a different MAC address, and by itself, that won't trigger
reactivation. [Note, if they have different amounts of memory, that
would be a 2nd difference].

Note that the Windows product activation database resets itself after 4
months with no changes. That is, if a given product key has seen no
product activation changes in 4 months, it's treated as if it had never
been previously installed anywhere.

* * Chas wrote:

> I have 2 identical TP240x laptops. Their serial numbers are only 42
> numbers apart. They both have the latest BIOS updates.
>
> I want to swap HDDs between these TPs. One has WinXP Pro installed and the
> other Win98SE.
>
> Can I do this without messing up WinXP and requiring a reinstall or a call
> to Microsoft?
>
> I've done a lot of searching on the web about this but haven't found a
> good answer.
> --
> Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)

July 3, 2004 8:47:40 PM

Since both OSs have the drivers for the same (according to you) laptop,
you're good to go!

"* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote in message
> I have 2 identical TP240x laptops. Their serial numbers are only 42
> numbers apart. They both have the latest BIOS updates.
>
> I want to swap HDDs between these TPs. One has WinXP Pro installed and the
> other Win98SE.
>
> Can I do this without messing up WinXP and requiring a reinstall or a call
> to Microsoft?
>
> I've done a lot of searching on the web about this but haven't found a
> good answer.
> --
> Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2004 10:46:17 PM

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 23:12:33 GMT, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com>
wrote:

:>You should be able to do this. The only difference that the OS will see
:>will be a different MAC address, and by itself, that won't trigger
:>reactivation. [Note, if they have different amounts of memory, that
:>would be a 2nd difference].
:>
:>Note that the Windows product activation database resets itself after 4
:>months with no changes. That is, if a given product key has seen no
:>product activation changes in 4 months, it's treated as if it had never
:>been previously installed anywhere.

And if it is a manufacturer provided, BIOS locked, preactivated xp
installation it never checks anyway. We've got a hard drive in our server
full of already setup with factory software only ghost images of all of the
common models we see. When a customer brings in a laptop that appears to
have software problems we load the image for that model on a test hard
drive, remove the customer's hard drive and put ours in. Actually, we've
been doing that since way before windows xp and never had a problem. We
started doing this back in the windows 95 days. As newer models come along
we load a test hard drive from the customer's restore discs, run through the
setup process and then make a ghost image. As the drive starts filling up
we burn the older, less common, ghost images to CD or DVD to make room.

me/2

:>
:>
:>* * Chas wrote:
:>
:>> I have 2 identical TP240x laptops. Their serial numbers are only 42
:>> numbers apart. They both have the latest BIOS updates.
:>>
:>> I want to swap HDDs between these TPs. One has WinXP Pro installed and the
:>> other Win98SE.
:>>
:>> Can I do this without messing up WinXP and requiring a reinstall or a call
:>> to Microsoft?
:>>
:>> I've done a lot of searching on the web about this but haven't found a
:>> good answer.
:>> --
:>> Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
:>>
:>>
:>>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 5, 2004 7:55:28 PM

"John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
> Since both OSs have the drivers for the same (according to you) laptop,
> you're good to go!

Thanks, it worked fine.
!