•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2012 9:35:58 PM

I made a list or cpu coolers from cooler master at around the same price point...

I dont know which one to choose.

PS:- Options are in Poll

More about : cpu cooler

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2012 9:38:37 PM

I will be using 3770k and overclocking it to 4.5ghz
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 27, 2012 10:09:04 PM

A Hyper 212 EVO will be the best option then. It's much cheaper and gets the job done.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2012 11:06:43 PM

3770k at 4.5 GHz gets pretty damn hot. I'd recommend looking at top of the line air coolers like the Silver Arrow or NH-D14 if you can afford them. I'm not sure the Hyper 212 EVO will be able to keep up with the heat of a 3770k at 4.5 GHz at full load.
May 27, 2012 11:23:25 PM

Definitely not the 612. It is difficult to install, huge, and performs no better than the Hyper 212. I just got the TPC 812 based on reviews and am a bit disappointed. And this is on a 2500k at 4.5 GHz. It replaced my 212 and doesn't do a whole lot better.

I would look at a silver arrow if you think it would fit or an H80 closed loop. Those were my other two choices.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2012 11:33:02 PM

Absolutely do not recommend the H80. It's overpriced, ineffective and loud. Spending the same amount on an air cooler will get you better temps and lower noise.

Closed loops are horrendously overrated, and contrary to popular belief, do not outperform competing air coolers in any area.
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 27, 2012 11:41:56 PM

The TPC 812 is the best of that bunch, but for 4.5 on 3770K, I suggest, as willard did, a Silver Arrow or a NH-D14. Custom water (NOT closed loop) would be better, but I understand not wanting to go that far.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 28, 2012 1:16:36 AM

amuffin said:
A Hyper 212 EVO will be the best option then. It's much cheaper and gets the job done.

pretty sure that you have been informed more then once on more then one other thread that this is a horrible recommendation and you still make it. that cooler is not a good one for someone who wants a high overclock with this OP does.

DarkStone82 said:
The TPC 812 is a beast. Hard to beat it air cooling wise. Check out
www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2654

frostytech is not the example of a reliable sit in my opinion. something is wrong when they should that a hyper 212 is only 2 degrees from the nh-d14. it is at least 10-15 degrees behind the nh-d14
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 28, 2012 10:17:25 AM

So you guys are saying that a tpc 812 is not good enough to OC 3770k to 4.5ghz?

I will make all these coolers into a push-pull config. by adding another fan.
May 28, 2012 8:25:28 PM

timarp000 said:
So you guys are saying that a tpc 812 is not good enough to OC 3770k to 4.5ghz?

I will make all these coolers into a push-pull config. by adding another fan.

Push pull will only give you 1c over a single fan - 2c tops.
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 292 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 12:30:50 PM

amuffin said:
You need some more meat in your diet. :sarcastic: 

Trust me, I eat all day... lol
May 29, 2012 6:00:54 PM

Hmmm,

well I either want a TPC 812, or a silver arrow. I hope the sa will just about fit in my lan boy air.

Btw people... I got the hyper 212 evo it is the direct contact revision. I have no problems with it, and to behonest I would go for the tpc 812 or the Sa over it... if you want to really OC it is the only way.

if your ambient room temp in the summer is still cool at times because you live in a northern place or cool spot then I may retract my statement and say 212 evo can get you by.. even though..

I did not like the temps and want the 812 or Sa. does anyone know if the 812 will get a revision?
May 30, 2012 12:35:57 AM

If the silver arrow fits comfortably, I would go for it. It just would have been an awful tight fit in my Fractal Design R3 or I would have gone with it.
May 30, 2012 12:55:57 AM

Hyper 212 FTW
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 1:48:18 AM

Xlerator said:
Hyper 212 FTW

laughable if you're being serious, leave.
May 30, 2012 6:35:20 AM

Well the evo is good for light overclocking, but as was said if you going to overclock you may want a good one, so say bye bye to coolmaster 212+ or hyper evo.

People need to start some where. I want a CM TPC 812, or a thermalright silver arrow SB-E.
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 7:01:00 AM

saint19 said:
Trust me, I eat all day... lol

dat metabolism :kaola: 
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 7:01:38 AM

TPC 812, with some better fans. Silver arrow is a bit more expensive.
May 30, 2012 8:14:24 AM

better fans? like what?

If I were to get better fans what would they be? to bad my gelid silent 12 pwm fans are probably horrible to replace those fans with x2. I mean even if I had silver arrow there may be an issue. I would want to use my akasa five way splitter...
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 8:21:05 AM

Scythe Gentle Typhoon Ap-15's for one, you can do some testing by yourself to see which fans you already own work best for you!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 8:32:52 AM

amuffin said:
TPC 812, with some better fans. Silver arrow is a bit more expensive.

What about TPC 812 with dual coolermaster sikleflows?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 8:36:42 AM

timarp000 said:
I will be using 3770k and overclocking it to 4.5ghz

even a cooler master hyper 212 + will do!

keep the volts down or just go liquid!
May 30, 2012 8:57:00 AM

you guys think gelid silent 12 PWM intelligent design fans are ok?
May 30, 2012 4:40:11 PM

what is silver arrow? can't find it
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 9:44:45 PM

Anonymous said:
http://images.anandtech.com/doci/5763/Temperature_575px.png

this is not correct and should be taken down. that graph is of the 3770k with a liquid cooler.

please if i am wrong inform be but just skimming the internet landed me at anandtechs website where it said:
"Intel i7-3770K
Intel All-In-One Liquid Cooler
MSI Z77A-GD65
G.Skill 4x4GB 2400 9-11-11
OCZ 1250W Gold ZX Series (75% efficient at 50W+, 90%+ efficient at 250W+)
2x ASUS HD 7970 GPUs"

a liquid cooler is not even close to a POS 212+ evo. even if it is a lower end one.

please edit your post to reflect this unless when you say or just go liquid was reflecting the plots data. i think it should be more clear as to not give false sense of practical results.
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 9:53:46 PM

cbrunnem said:
a liquid cooler is not even close to a POS 212+ evo. even if it is a lower end one.

A 212 Evo performs exactly the same as a Corsair H60, so you're using hyperbole of your own there. Regardless, for high Ivy OC's, it high end air or custom water. Closed loop water just isn't worth it, in most cases.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 9:55:49 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
A 212 Evo performs exactly the same as a Corsair H60, so you're using hyperbole of your own there. Regardless, for high Ivy OC's, it high end air or custom water. Closed loop water just isn't worth it, in most cases.

i guess i could have stated that a little different. i should have said even if the intel liquid cooler performed on par with a h100 or at worst h80 which are on the lower end of water cooling.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 10:23:36 PM

cbrunnem said:
this is not correct and should be taken down. that graph is of the 3770k with a liquid cooler.

please if i am wrong inform be but just skimming the internet landed me at anandtechs website where it said:
"Intel i7-3770K
Intel All-In-One Liquid Cooler
MSI Z77A-GD65
G.Skill 4x4GB 2400 9-11-11
OCZ 1250W Gold ZX Series (75% efficient at 50W+, 90%+ efficient at 250W+)
2x ASUS HD 7970 GPUs"

please edit your post to reflect this unless when you say or just go liquid was reflecting the plots data. i think it should be more clear as to not give false sense of practical results.
what i posted is very relevant to what the OP is looking for in overclocking regardless of the test set up.
and until you become a mod, you cannot tell me or anyone else what to post.
good luck with that :) 
btw, the CM hyper 212+ is absolutely the most cost efficient air cooling solution in the whole wide world!!!!
:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

and be honest yourself, you had to do alot more than being skimming the internet to dig up that article . . got time on your hands?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 12:09:09 AM

Anonymous said:
what i posted is very relevant to what the OP is looking for in overclocking regardless of the test set up.
and until you become a mod, you cannot tell me or anyone else what to post.
good luck with that :) 
btw, the CM hyper 212+ is absolutely the most cost efficient air cooling solution in the whole wide world!!!!
:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

and be honest yourself, you had to do alot more than being skimming the internet to dig up that article . . got time on your hands?

ill give you the click by click lol. you would think it would be hard im but it wasnt.

1. clicked on photo
2. noticed anandtech was in address bar.
3. search "anandtech 3770k overclocking"
4. clicked images within google
5. found photo with link withing anand tech forums
6. found previously posted info.

but i still do not see it being relevant. what you showed him is what a cooler that wasnt on his list could do which is way better then any of those coolers.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 12:16:18 AM

cbrunnem said:
ill give you the click by click lol. you would think it would be hard im but it wasnt.

1. clicked on photo
2. noticed anandtech was in address bar.
3. search "anandtech 3770k overclocking"
4. clicked images within google
5. found photo with link withing anand tech forums
6. found previously posted info.

but i still do not see it being relevant. what you showed him is what a cooler that wasnt on his list could do which is way better then any of those coolers.

so thats
Quote:
just skimming the internet landed me at anandtechs website

:lol: 
kettle meet pot.

it is VERY relevant for his given target to overclock to 4.5Ghz. the chart showed only minor increase in heat needing dissipated until hitting over 1.5 volts. if you read the article that you happened upon while you "skimmed the internet" you know that.

have a good day -flag deleted.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 12:22:48 AM

Anonymous said:

it is VERY relevant for his given target to overclock to 4.5Ghz. the chart showed only minor increase in heat needing dissipated until hitting over 1.5 volts. if you read the article that you happened upon while you "skimmed the internet" you know that.

relavent if we where talking about coolers that could produce those types of temps.
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 3:00:01 AM

Might as well go XSPC RASA kit....
May 31, 2012 3:58:40 AM

timarp000 said:
What about TPC 812 with dual coolermaster sikleflows?

They don't have good pressure do they? Really you'll end up spending more and getting less. The CM fan has lots of pressure and high rpm. Replacing the stock fan will make it quieter, but less effective at cooling.
May 31, 2012 9:03:03 PM

Does anyone have a picture of Noctua NH-D14 installed on a board. I am having a hard time imagining what it looks like.

What's bigger and harder to install. Noctua NH-D14 or Silver Arrow? Which is quieter?

Thanks!
May 31, 2012 9:09:11 PM

Anonymous said:
http://images.anandtech.com/doci/5763/Temperature_575px.png

Is this a graph of a 3770K being cooled by cooler master hyper 212 +? If so I'm getting the cooler master hyper 212 +. Looks great to me! Or should I keep the volts down (does that mean I can't OC a lot?)? Or maybe go liquid? Does that mean Corsair closed loop or custom liquid? How does liquid relate to the graph? I thought it was of a cooler master hyper 212 +, which is a $19 fan.

Thanks a lot! I'm just a newb so any information you can provide is grandastic.
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 9:12:23 PM

They're both HUGE.

NH-D14:

Silver Arrow:

a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 9:18:12 PM

ratsa said:
Is this a graph of a 3770K being cooled by cooler master hyper 212 +? If so I'm getting the cooler master hyper 212 +. Looks great to me! Or should I keep the volts down (does that mean I can't OC a lot?)? Or maybe go liquid? Does that mean Corsair closed loop or custom liquid? How does liquid relate to the graph? I thought it was of a cooler master hyper 212 +, which is a $19 fan.

Take a look at this article. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overcloc...
May 31, 2012 9:18:56 PM

THAT's SCARY!

(i) If you want to remove or install the RAM sticks that are closest to the CPU, do you have to uninstall the fan and heatsink? I thought taking off the heatsink was a big deal.

(ii) Does this fit into a normal case? I've seen compatability list for mobos and RAM with Noctua, but not cases.

(iii) Is there anything smaller and quiet that does the job? I would like to OC i7-3930K. But I am feeling quite discouraged by the sight of these monstrosities.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 9:22:37 PM

ratsa said:

see i told that idiot that his graph was misleading.

to answer you question: no that is no where near hyper 212+ performance. that is intels closed loop system which should run about 15 degrees cooler then a hyper 212+
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 9:25:04 PM

ratsa said:
THAT's SCARY!

(i) If you want to remove or install the RAM sticks that are closest to the CPU, do you have to uninstall the fan and heatsink? I thought taking off the heatsink was a big deal.

(ii) Does this fit into a normal case? I've seen compatability list for mobos and RAM with Noctua, but not cases.

(iii) Is there anything smaller and quiet that does the job? I would like to OC i7-3930K. But I am feeling quite discouraged by the sight of these monstrosities.

(i) Yes, but they have back plates, so it's just a matter unseating and reseating.

(ii) It depends on what case it is, but there will be clearance issues with a lot of cases, yes.

(iii) For a 3930K, a 212+/Evo (Evo, really, since it COMES with the hardware required for LGA 2011) is just fine. Still tall and might have clearance issues there, but nowhere near as wide as the NH-D14 or Silver Arrow (with a single fan).
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 9:31:34 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
(i) Yes, but they have back plates, so it's just a matter unseating and reseating.

(ii) It depends on what case it is, but there will be clearance issues with a lot of cases, yes.

(iii) For a 3930K, a 212+/Evo (Evo, really, since it COMES with the hardware required for LGA 2011) is just fine. Still tall and might have clearance issues there, but nowhere near as wide as the NH-D14 or Silver Arrow (with a single fan).

i have better clearance with my noctua then i do with my old hyper 212+. gskill ripjaws fit nicely under the noctua but not the 212+. also if you can fit a 212+ you can fit a noctua nh-d14, they are the same height
May 31, 2012 9:46:53 PM

I just found this on Noctua's site: "In order to check whether the cooler isn’t too high for your case, please measure the distance from the motherboard tray to the side panel (tower cases) or top panel (desktop cases). If this distance is bigger than the height of the cooler + 15mm (mainboard spacers + mainboard + CPU), the height/width of your case should be sufficient."

I will have to make careful measurements, but it's going to be very tight in my Lian Li PC-9F case.

If Noctua/Evo/Silver Arrow don't fit, what's my next option? H80?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 9:54:37 PM

Thermalright Venomous X and Archon are solid choices too. And prolimatech megalem.
June 1, 2012 1:41:31 AM

interesting...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2012 6:30:42 AM

redtailed said:
They don't have good pressure do they? Really you'll end up spending more and getting less. The CM fan has lots of pressure and high rpm. Replacing the stock fan will make it quieter, but less effective at cooling.

Are you saying that the tpc 812 with dual sikleflows are not enough... they move 15cfm less but they are only 19dba, which is half the noise of the stock fan at high speed...
!