Will these components fit nicely in a case together?

nickabbey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I'm building a new PC, and I'm considering these components (based on the recommendations in this month's $500 and $1000 rigs, with some tweaks to suit my needs and budget):

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ASRock 890FX DELUXE3
ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 (x2 crossfire)
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

And either of these memory chips:

G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) (x2 for 8gb)
or
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) (x2 for 8gb)

I'd like to know if anyone has any specific input on these components.

My primary concern is the RAM - a lot of people are saying that the head spreaders are a little tall and may interfere with the cooling solution. It seems that the fins on the Trident come up higher than the Ripjaws. The Ripjaws are about 10 bucks cheaper on Newegg, but the timings appear to be identical.
I'm just looking for some input on whether or not I will fit 4 DIMMS of either stick on this Mobo with the cooler master fan I've selected. The way I understand it I can always mount the fan on the other side of the cooler, but that will get the airflow blowing off the CPU over the DIMMs, which is counter productive.

My secondary concern is with the graphics cards. I'm intending to start with one with the expectation that at some point in the future I'll add an identical 5770. Again, it's a concern with the physical geometry of the hardware. Will I have any issues with other components getting in the way of one or two of these cards (drive bays, for example)?

Thanks in advance!

nickabbey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Just bumping my message, wondering if anyone has input specifically on whether or not the RAM will fit nicely in this board without interfering with the cooling solution.

thanks!

nickabbey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I just bought the components any way.
If anyone is looking at the same rig, you will have issues with the heatsink fins of the CPU cooler pushing against the heat spreaders on the RAM and causing the heat spreaders on the chips in the first and second DIMMS to touch. I moved the two chips I have to the 3rd and 4th slots.
If I get additional identical RAM, I'll likely use a dremel to shave a piece of the RAM heat spreader off so that the RAM and cooler fins don't touch.

Otherwise, this is a solid build.

The cooler was easy to assemble and affix, everything went together nicely and there was enough room to fit the 5770 in the top PCIe slot with a HDD directly behind it. Even cable management turned out nicely considering the midsized ATX case. It was a little tight in a couple of places and could have been a little easier overall, but I'm pleased with the end result.

HD Gaming in 1080p is so far excellent. APB plays at max detail in 1080p with acceptable frames.
1080p Movies with 7.1 surround playback is flawless.