Sign in with
Your question

RAM for i3 i5 i7 CPU Processors

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2010 6:07:18 PM

Aside from the obvious specs provides on getting the correct RAM for a mobo provided by the mobo manufacturer, are there any additional specs on RAM that should be considered when using it with an Intel i3 i5 i7 processor. I sometime see advertisements for RAM that say "Optimized for Intel i3 i5 i5" - What other requirements do these particular cpus have that I am missing- is there a specific voltage/latency/timing that is needed?

If you could let me know that would be great as I want to make sure I am buying the right RAM the first time around.

I am building a HTPC off of the i3 cpu - haven't got it yet but am trying to avoid any pitfalls.

Thanks,

More about : ram cpu processors

a b } Memory
a c 78 à CPUs
June 21, 2010 6:56:13 PM

For those CPU's, you just need to make sure the RAM is DDR3 and has voltage requirements is equal or less than 1.65V. There is no requirement on timings or speeds.

I would recommend this RAM for any dual-channel... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , which has great timings and performance for the price.

edit: Okay... shortstuff_mt beat me to the punch!!! For whatever reason it didn't showup for me... But I like the way I said it better [:mousemonkey:5] :D 
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2010 8:47:38 PM

Great minds think alike - thanks for clarifying - now i just need to find a killer deal on a i3 cpu/mobo combo (Waiting for the Fry's ad this week - back in May they had a combo for about $100) - I do see they have an i5 cpu/mobo combo this week for $179 but that woulfd be way overkill for an HTPC and I am already spending more than I originally planned.
m
l
!